First roughs I've carved

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

First roughs I've carved

Postby Duck Nasty » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:53 pm

Here are the first 2 that I have carved. They just got a 2nd coat of mastic and are drying. I carved the heads out of some leftover pine 2x4s I had around and gorilla glued them I'm place after the first coat of mastic then on the 2nd coat covered them too. Is that going to break or chip off after sanding? I don't think they are too bad for my first ones but if you see some mistakes let me know. I have thick skin and just want to get better.

Duck Nasty
hunter

Re: First roughs I've carved

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:48 pm

are you burlapping them?
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:06 pm

Yes I did on the first coat then just mastic on the 2nd
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby 1quacker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:44 pm

I am no pro but I thought the mastic was suppose to be kinda thin and smooth so you could basically paint right over the top without sanding.
1quacker
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:18 pm

It's the outer "shell" and you same it down to get the desired roughness of the burlap or other material you are using to wrap the decoy in.
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:37 pm

I know with thinner layers of mastic it will dry quicker and more thorough, not leaving any "mushy" parts to the decoy. Also if you take a brush or even your hand dunked in water you can smooth out the mastic before it dries. Less time sanding the decoy afterward. I love carving blocks, when they turn out decent for me lol.
jscheirer
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:29 pm

Thinner coats of mastic dry quicker and require less sanding. Not sure why you'd want to mastic over a pine head, but that's your choice.
You could have an issue of strength if the head is glued only to first layer of mastic. The head assembly / joint to the body then becomes only as strong as the mastic that it's attached to.

Good luck, I'm sure they'll turn out fine.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:44 pm

I added a half inch dowel to the heads and sank them into the body about a inch and a half or so with gorilla glue. I def put way too much mastic on them. Told 2 days to dry out. Here are some pictures of the next set. The water helped out a lot. I guess I was thinking that I would use it to put some fine details but that's not the case it's not bondo. I was going to do the same with the dowel and gorilla glue them into the body is that the wrong way to do it?

Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:45 pm

Forgot to ask. Do you just paint eyes or put in some exernal ones from a taxidermy supply shop
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:54 am

Putting in a dowel and gluing that through the block/head will give it plenty of strength.
I buy glass eyes from Van Dykes.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby eagles2069 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:08 am

Taxidermy eyes can get really expensive fast. Personally I make super simple gunners so I buy half round cabochons from panda hall. You have to paint them yourself but it isn't that tough and I haven't had a problem with them yet. Nice work on your first couple and can't wait to see them all finished.
http://www.pandahall.com/wholesale/glas ... 21760.html
eagles2069
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:00 am

There is a guy on fleabay that sells eyes in bulk for great prices. Check for his stuff there. Way cheaper than regular prices.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:28 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:There is a guy on fleabay that sells eyes in bulk for great prices. Check for his stuff there. Way cheaper than regular prices.

Yeah that's what I did after talking to gene. They are in transit now.
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:50 pm

well here is the progress update still have some more work to do but i really dont like the pine heads i carved so I switched to foam after talking to Gene. Ill put pictures of a bluebill im working on now too. Please feel free to critique them. I want as many pointers as I can so i can improve. I have thick skin. Here they are.

Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:05 am

Looking a lot smoother !
I made foam heads for my Eider dekes as I was concerned about weight and making them top-heavy if I'd used wood.
I used a 1/4" plywood core, then wrapped the foam with cheesecloth instead of burlap. It made for a much thinner head covering, saved weight, easy to work with.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:20 pm

Here is my finished body painting on them. Still have some fine detail black on the bill but not bad at my first attempt I feel. Let me know what you guys thing

Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:59 pm

Personally I think you did great for the first ones you've done. Especially the feathering for hens. Keep up the good work and keep posting pictures!
jscheirer
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:40 am

You should get some factory heads and focus for now on the bodies....you can get them closer and closer really fast....heads are a whole other story....looks good
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:11 pm

Here are the drakes to go with those hens. Thes still need some black on the bills when they dry

What do you guys think of the paint

Duck Nasty
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum