Mono vs braided

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Mono vs braided

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:38 am

OK I want to get yalls opinion on mono vs braided line for deke rigging for where I hunt? I'm going to run keel grabber 8oz weights. I'm thinking of running between 6 to 8 feet of line. I manly hunt ponds, Creeks and rivers.
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Re: Mono vs braided

Postby olt d2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:52 pm

For what you are using for anchors and depth mono is a going to work. It will kink when wrapped around the keel and if you use mono over about four or five feet it won't be tangle free. what I use on all my divers and deep water puddlers is tarred #72 braided and have never had a problem. It's very durable and is nice and thick so its easy to handle with gloves.
olt d2
hunter

Postby Swampfoxforeman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:16 pm

Were can you get tarred braided at? Yes I do want to wrap it around the keel.
Swampfoxforeman
hunter

Postby On the X » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:38 pm

I use string trimmer line (weed eater line) and homemade tanglefree weights and no more on average than about 5 feet of line, absolutely and I mean ABSOLUTELY no winding required.
On the X
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:14 pm

The last time I bought some was through Fowl foolers decoys web site.
olt d2
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:35 am

Swampfoxforeman wrote:Were can you get tarred braided at? Yes I do want to wrap it around the keel.

Cabela's is the first place that comes to mind. Look up LP-42-1597-500.

I use braided nylon anchor line. I'm old school and using mono or PVC line just seems wrong to me. I hunt with guys who use the mono, and it works....it just tends to take a set and act like a big spring in shallow water/no wind conditions....half of it always seems to be sticking out of the water.

I also use depth adjusters on my lines, and they work far better with braid than with mono.
mudpack
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:14 am

When I started years ago I used braided and for the life of me I couldn't keep the knots out of them. I've been using PVC for a long time now and really like it. It never tangles or knots and it's easy to pull weeds off. I use it for ducks with 3' of cord to honkers with 12' of cord.
wjarrell
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:38 am

I use Tangle Free PVC line on everything. I tried using the thin braided stuff and it was the worst line ever, nothing but tangles and knots,..I cut it all off and threw it away. I've never had any issues with the PVC breaking either due to cold or wear and tear, and I have as much as 30' wrapped on some of my decoys.
When I was a kid, all of my Dad's decoys were rigged with 'cod line', (or hand lines) used for cod and flounder fishing. Very tough and durable stuff, but harder to find now.
Try Memphis Net and Twine Co. (www.MemphisNet.net) for tarred and braided lines.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:28 pm

^what he said

neither mono, tarred, or braided line is good for your use. I'd suggest the Tanglefree PVC line as well. If I wasnt running Texas style rigs, I'd still be running the Tanglefree line on all of my decoys.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Rodents seem to think PVC anchor lines are Twizzler candy.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby KRB » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:04 pm

We always used what pop called codfish line. Same as #36 bank line. Last's a long time, wrap's well.
KRB
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum