lookin to buy decoys 4 husband dont know much about them

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

lookin to buy decoys 4 husband dont know much about them

Postby jaclyn » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:01 am

i want to buy dcoys 4 hubby but not sure what to get i know that he has 2 dozen mallards i think and some big black head grey body decoys his birthday is coming he hunts at the lake what should i get him any ideas
respcet the wildlife and it will respect you
jaclyn
Banned

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:00 pm

There are a couple of things you can do:

-take one of those decoys compare it to ones you see on the web or at the store (likely when he's not around if you want to keep it a secret)
-look at the bottom of the decoy for the companies name, he probably has a preference (unless you've heard him mutter angrily under his breath when he speaks of them)
-or contact your local department of natural resources tp determine what other types of duck decoys you should get him.

thats just my thoughts, good luck!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:23 pm

seems simple enough to get in touch with one of your husban's buddies that he hunts with.....find out the species most encountered in the field.....for example, you know he has some mallard blocks, maybe he sees Woodies and Teal early in the season....so pick up half a dozen each to round out his spread......don't forget decoy line and anchors....that would be a nice finishing touch to getting the dekes!

If he hunts open water lakes....maybe a few redheads or scaup would be appropriate to supplement his spread.

As for type of decoy.....if he is hunting mostly as a walk-in....go with the plastics just because of weight....but if he hunts from a boat you may wish to 'upgrade' to corks or burlaps. I know that corks are expensive (at least $30 apiece), but burlaps are super durable, will last decades, take a pounding and do not sink if shot....they ride the water naturally.....and paint doesn't chip/wear and need work every couple of years.

Jaclyn.....feel free to contact me via PM if interested in burlaps!!!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SwampHunter » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:57 pm

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby cmelik10 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:12 pm

first of all "will you marry me" :getdown: :getdown: every woman that I hears me talk about hunting cringes her nose all up in disscust.

second of all like the other guys have said check the decoys that he uses now and find the brand then go to the internet and find that brand on say cabelas.com or bassproshops.com. Another dozen mallard decoys would not be a bad thing maybe some gadwell, pintail, or teal.

I hope this has helped some. if you have anymore question plase feel free to ask.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:05 am

If you get to the point your not for sure at all maybe a gift certificate will be fine also. Could you also talk with my wife to about the gift's I could recieve in the future :laughing:
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:38 am

get him some g&h dekes. they are the best plastic deke.probly some standard weighted keel mallard g&h dekes. but asking his friends what he likes best would help too.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckbum13 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:58 pm

well said above, with look on the bottom of the decoy and ask his friends to see what species :thumbsup:
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum