First attempt at a wood head

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

First attempt at a wood head

Postby Mean Gene » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:43 pm

So, I've been doing exactly NOTHING for three weeks since I had shoulder surgery. Couldn't stand it anymore so I spent a couple hours in the shop this afternoon. I wanted to do something with decoys, but knew I wouldn't be able to work for long, nor could I do any lifting or stretching, so I decided to try and carve my first ever wooden duck head. Figured I could work my arm close to my body and not hurt anything. I wanted a head for my first cork decoy (coming soon), and that's going to be a ringneck, so I made a stab at carving his head. Here's what I came up with before my shoulder started screaming at me. When I got to the base of the neck I discovered a crack I'll have to fix, but that's no big deal. Head is carved out of sugar pine. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a start.

Mean Gene
hunter

Re: First attempt at a wood head

Postby mudpack » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:43 pm

I've seen first attempts that weren't nearly as good as this one (my own would be among those). As you said, not perfect....but not a bad start at all. You avoided some of the most common mistakes of beginning carvers. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby jakefromflorida » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:57 pm

Not sure how you did it! But ten times better then my first! Here's my second head, which happen to be a ring neck as well. Image

Keep it up, good stuff.

Sent from a whooping crane.
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:Nice work Jakefromstatefarm.

Crap. On. A. Cracker!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: LMAO!!!
"She sounds hideous!" :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
jakefromflorida
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:09 pm

Be careful with that shoulder my dad was 60 when he has his done and tore the muscles
Off the bone by tucking his shirt in about 3 weeks after the surgery. As far as the head looks pretty good esp for a first great job
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:28 am

Duck Nasty wrote:Be careful with that shoulder my dad was 60 when he has his done and tore the muscles
Off the bone by tucking his shirt in about 3 weeks after the surgery. As far as the head looks pretty good esp for a first great job

I'm moving real slow, not lifting any weight, and if it starts to hurt I stop. Kept my elbow tucked in tight yesterday and moved things around with my left arm. :thumbsup:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:45 am

Looks good for your first head, keep it up !
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum