Decoy formations

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Decoy formations

Postby cmelik10 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:03 pm

After reading a couple of different articles today it got me wondering. How do you guys put out your deeks, do you use the blod technique or do you put them out in a specific pattern. I am more of a blob type of guy, I figure out where I want my shots to be and then leave those areas open other than that I just take the deeks and pitch them and let them land where they will. at 5:30 in the morning there is only so much that I can think about and once I find the slew that we are hunting my thinking is pretty much done for the day :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
cmelik10
hunter

Postby gahunter » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:19 pm

:withstupid: I do try to play the wind, though.
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:11 pm

I’m with you gahunter, don’t stop there, playing the wind let’s hear it. There’s a lot to be said about decoy placement and the wind.
State Moderator

Postby likesbigspreads » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:24 pm

Most of my spreads are open water. We usually get to leave all decks out all year long. That being said we have four differtn wads of around 150 supermags on each corner of the blind. We put a bunch of pinnies right in the middle of the front 2 wads and our geese in the middle of the back 2 wads. Any way the wind is there is a open hole for them to land in, but as anyone knows they usually try to land on the outside edge or right in the middle. rarely do I have them landing in just the open holes.
likesbigspreads
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:19 am

Our setups are all about the wind. Where's it coming from and where is it blowing to? We hunt about 99% of the time from the bank, so our dekes are set up in a pattern to give us shots with the wind coming from our back. We always set up to let the birds land into the wind.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:05 pm

We hunt Ga-REEN :mrgreen: 's & set up for 'em in no particular pattern... we sorta just throw 'em out & leave a landin' hole or 2 in 'em... nuthin' fancy. We may adjust a coupla of 'em, dependin' on how the ducks are workin' the hole. Sometimes we'll put dekes where we don't want the ducks to land. We always set up accordingly to the wind, especially if we can have the sun to our backs. :thumbsup:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:17 pm

The one question I’m asked each hunting season is ”870 where are you hunting tomorrow” My answer is “that all depends on the wind” I leave them hanging with that. I’m not trying to be rude, but for me to know, I first must know how hard, and from witch direction the winds going to blow. “ The weather channel you can hunt by it” bad pun. PUDDLERS; I always keep my decoys close to shore just inches off of it, but not to where the waves are breaking on them, that doesn’t look natural. The harder the wind blows the farther off of shore. I do have some spots I pray for 30+ winds. Most guys hunt the down wind side of points, islands and shoals not me. If I can beat the wind, I take two Blacks and that’s it. I place the decoys behind some rocks out the way of the waves, again in inches of water and sit back and get ready, the wind is going to push the birds right up on shore as thy fly in. DIVERS; in a strong wind I place them in tight groups. It makes it look like their just riding it out. I place them just to the inside of where the waves are breaking on the points On calmer days I use J hooks usual set ups.
State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum