Hey i Have a question on decoy spread

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Hey i Have a question on decoy spread

Postby MallardKiller » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:44 pm

K i was wondering what a J formation duck spread is, and how far apart do i want to have them, do i want 3 or 4 duck decoys then 2 or 3 feet away have another couple decoys or what i just want som suggestions on a good decoy spread thanks

Daniel
Call'em, Whack'em And Stack'em
MallardKiller
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:57 pm

what you want in a good spread is decoys to block the birds from going where you dont want them and decoys to make a landing strip to get them to land where you want.. remember ducks will always land into the wind so setup accordingly.. a j spread is basically setup in theshape of a J a wall of decoys to block the birds from landing where you dont want them and the hook of the j is where you want them to land. and it is not just a straight line of decoys use a bunch to form the arm of the J and use a bunch to setup the hook.. i will e-mail you a pic of some of the more common spread setups
Rowdy
hunter

Hey

Postby MallardKiller » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:07 pm

Hey thank you for the information it is appreciated
Call'em, Whack'em And Stack'em
MallardKiller
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:17 pm

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Could you e-mail me that spread help as well?

Postby winbadgers » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:27 pm

winbadgers
Newb

Postby duckbuster » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:32 am

if u do a J spread put between 10-12 decoys on the little hook then spread them out to some what of a point. and realize the ducks will use the side of the j that hooks as the landing zone. works well if ur getting ducks to come in real low to check out ur spread cuz they think bout dropping in and if they dont they cirlce with in shotgun range to drop in in that landing zone.
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum