ProGrade Full Bodies

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

ProGrade Full Bodies

Postby mudpack » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:53 am

Just received my GHG ProGrade mallards; a pak of Active and a pack of Feeders. Much better than the original GHG Full Bodies (I have some), but not perfect.

Specifically, the Feeder drakes all (four) look like the scapular paint template slipped before the paint was shot on; it doesn't meet up with the breast color...by a good one inch. Also, the paint is chipping off all the drakes in a few very tiny spots.
I may have to treat these decoys very carefully......
The hen's tail feathers are not nearly as white as they should be. Other than that, the hens aren't bad at all. Looks like I'll have to break out the artist's acrylics for this bunch.

Body positions and coloration (except as noted) are excellent....and when it comes to decoys I am not easily impressed.

(wish I'd known about the new Avian-X Full Bodies before I ordered these.....even though, at half the price of X's, the PG's look to be 90%+ as good as the X's.)

My original GHG have been in constant use since 2005 and none of them have lost a bit of paint, although their "over-inflated football" shape is a bit odd and takes up a lot of unnecessary space in the bag. These new FB's are so much better....my old FB's will be sold this summer.
Last edited by mudpack on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mudpack
hunter

Re: Prograde Full Bodies

Postby cutdown123 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:46 pm

I got em, love em, use em--no paint issues at all from this year-12 slot bag helps a bunch-if they do chip a bit shoot em up with some krylon flat coat. 1 piece body is awesome. :thumbsuo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cutdown123
hunter

Re: ProGrade Full Bodies

Postby clymerfowler » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:10 am

how much you selling or ol ones for? lol
Pigeons-231
Geese- 65
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:21 am

Probably ask ten, take eight.
mudpack
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:19 am

I love working with the pro grades, they are a really nice decoy and the original paint is generally better than most brands. Every decoy brand has inconsistencies in paint, but the pro grades are better than a lot of other brands. The colors on the avian x are stronger, bolder, but they haven't been on the market very many years yet. We work with a lot of flexible decoys because the paint tends to start flaking off due to the manipulation after a few years and they end up in my shop. We've only had a few dozen avian x here and they seemed fine, but they were new. We get hundreds of pro grades and they have been pretty sound decoys. I still don't understand why both avian x and pro grade are so in love with feather splits, there are hundreds of feather splits on those decoy brands. Someone mentioned on a forum that feather splits mean unhealthy birds.
woodduck31
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum