flocking hen mallards and black ducks

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

flocking hen mallards and black ducks

Postby neon58 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:47 pm

What are some tips for putting detail in fully flocked mallard hen and black duck floaters? We are going to use paint for the adhesive. I was thinking using black paint and brown flocking for mallard hens and brown paint and black flocking for the black ducks. Or am i way off? Brand new to flocking decoys, any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated
neon58
hunter

Re: flocking hen mallards and black ducks

Postby John O`Neal » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:16 pm

aerooutdoors.com is a great place to get flocking supplies . They offer instruction, plus kits or bulk flocking and color matched waterproof glues . A couple methods come to mind . I have used an airbrush to apply detail or you can apply adhesive glue directly onto the base color flocking using a small artist type brush and then apply your contrast color . The glues dry slowly so you can apply it to fairly large areas before being required to apply your contrast flocking . With a little practice both methods will produce good results . Good luck .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Re: flocking hen mallards and black ducks

Postby Duck Nasty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:20 pm

Make test strips out of index cards with different color paint and flocking combos and see how they turn out before you get on the decoys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duck Nasty
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum