Eider sleds

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Eider sleds

Postby RedDog » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:27 am

Getting ready to cut out some silhouettes. I broke out the outline of an Eider I posed and traced this past season (uh yes, he was dead at the time)...

It measures 20 in. from breast to tail (not including head). With current head placement it's 10 in. high from belly to top of head.

I figure there's not much sense in going with an actual lifesize cutout, sense the purpose of these is to spotted better than the corkers. But how much bigger do you think? All the ones I've seen or used have been pretty big, but I've never measured them and it's hard to judge from memory.

I'm thinking... about the size of a Volkswagen?
RedDog
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:49 am

the dimensions you have noted of your template are very close to the one I use and have had excellent succes with (althouh my back measures about 9 inches from thew waterline so the head adds another few).....the visability of sled silos is much greater than full bodies....although I make my full bodied eiders in a super mag size....regardless, the sleds are better for attraction, but you still can use the fullbodies to fill the set and to get that final comittment.....a friend that guides off the NH coast is switching to more sleds this year due to the visability from a distance they provide
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby RedDog » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:22 am

Thanks DUK. Yes, they do look good in action. Even in pictures I've taken from our setup on the rocks, they look awesome. I can only imagine how they sho up from a distance.

I guess I'll just "fatten them up" a little to get them higher in the water, and leave other dimensions the same.
RedDog
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum