Battery Care

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Battery Care

Postby gsphunter » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:52 am

Hey guys do you do anything special with your batteries for motion wings during the off season. I bought mine at the end of last season (actually never used it yet). I put the full starting charge on it and was wandering if it would be a good idea to stick it on the charger periodically.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:59 pm

I keep mine unplugged from the decoy and in a cool place. Heat will drain a battery just as fast as extreme cold. I wouldn't imagine a quick, 10 minute charge, wouldn't hurt them. But, then you come into the area of wearing the battery out by charging it many times. Batteries do have a useage life and do get a charge "memory". I keep my batteries in a fridge when not in use. That was the prescribed/directed method of our batteries when I was in the military. That was regular batteries and lithium's for the NVG's as well.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:13 pm

i wouldn't worry about charging it when not in use. just keep it off of concrete and charge it the night before you need. follow hunt's advice about room temp storage and you should get plenty of use out of it.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:14 pm

Sounds good then. It's been sitting on my bedroom dresser since the end of January. Thanks guys. Would you guys happen to know what the life of one of those batteries is. I'm kinda kicking myself in the butt for buying it at the very end of the season, and having the battery a whole extra year without using it. I'm young though and just couldn't wait. I put it all together as soon as I got it home! :mrgreen:
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum