Is it worth it?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Is it worth it?

Postby Duckhunter16 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:07 pm

Ok I have as of now 33 duck decoys and 29 geese and I am thinking of buying 2 to 4 dozen more duck decoys and a dozen or so more geese. now my question is.......Is it worth the time and the effort to haul the decoys around?
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

decoys

Postby horse » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:14 pm

I'm a newby here but I only run 25 ducks and 4 cans and 1 snow for decs and have just as good luck as the guys running 60 to70 ducks and as many cans. :thumbsup: .I hunt slews here in iowa and have at the ramps when the big dollar guys come back in and only got 4 to5 birds for all there effort and 5 guys shotin, and the kid and I are limited and all we are shotin are 20 gauges/3in. with 6 to4 shot at less than 30 yards , all Im saying is look at your presontation and see if you would set in it if you was a duck or goose. :toofunny:
smile all and have a great day all
horse
hunter

Postby pj » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:55 pm

If it's not broke, don't fix it.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:13 pm

One day we might hunt over a dozen, the next it might be 300+. Hunt that way in SE Missouri, West TN, and here in Middle TN. Usually it is right around 100 with as many motion dekes as we can handle. Equal luck with both, depends on the situation. We just try to be different than any other spread around.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:06 am

Too each his own.

If it works, why change?

BUT I am always fiddling with my set ups. :toofunny:

I have way too many decoys as I have em for puddlers, divers, & CA for water and Mallard, CA, & Snows for fields. That is alot of decoys. I use from 9 to 300, all depending the situation.

My Dad used to use about 9 wooden duck decoys that he carved himself and shoot plenty of ducks in the sloughs. I later years I bought him the lighter plastic magnum decoys-which he liked because of the lightness-but he really liked the wood ones better.

Just like real estate--location, location. location. Being on the "X" is #1(where they want to be) , concealment is #2, decoys #3 and calling is #4
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rat Creek » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:39 pm

It is a delicate balance between effort and enjoyment. Each year, I put in less effort, but somehow enjoy it more.

All kidding aside, I just don’t want to spend that much time carrying, putting out and picking up decoys, so I hunt with no more than three dozen.

While I hate to say it, I would add a spinner before I added another dozen. Less to carry and more effective.

I have seen guys hunting over a dozen decoys and two spinners who did much better than the guys who brought an entire boat load of decoys out. They literally put out two hundred decoys.

Now given the power, I would outlaw the spinners, but until that happens, you have to compete in the marsh.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:29 pm

it different each time. one of my best hunts of all time I used just 3 duck dekes . thats what this game is all about
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby hunter18372 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:05 pm

I've hunted 6 different states for waterfowl for the most part public land.
To me a really large spread would be somewhere around 75 birds. One thing I can tell you cheap decoys equals poor results. Most times I use between 12 - 40 decoys depending on where I happen to be hunting.
My main body is alway comprised of cork blocks. You need alot less decoys when using good cork blocks. They'll outdraw any other decoy on the market when placed properly in the right spot.
hunter18372
hunter

Postby texan68 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:13 pm

don't go through all the trouble. I hunt down on the texas coast and have entire roosts of scaup and redheads come down on only 2 doz. It's not always how many you have, but how you set them.
texan68
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum