Any REAL Difference?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Any REAL Difference?

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun May 22, 2005 1:59 am

Hey everyone,
I've been thinking of upragding to some "bigger" decoys this fall.

But I'm not sure if they extera couple of inches REALLY makes a differnece.

Do any of y'all have an oppinon of the effectivness of the magnum, or supermagnum decoys. And if so, which size and brand are you fans of?

Thanks,
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun May 22, 2005 8:22 am

I don't think that the couple of extra inches (on a decoy) is that big a deal the main thing is motion in the deks thats what gives you the most bang for your buck. Larger decoys mean less in the bag and more weight to carry for the same size spread. Thats just MHO.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun May 22, 2005 7:28 pm

When you say motion in the dekes, what do you mean?

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun May 22, 2005 11:11 pm

i think super mags are alot more affective. i mix them in with my mags and standards. if you have a boat you dont have to worry about carrying them.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Mon May 23, 2005 7:21 am

MAGS ARE EFFECTIVE....AND i THINK ARE EVEN MORE EFFECTIVE WHEN MIXED WITH OTHER SIZE DECOYS........IMO EVERY FLOCK HAS BIRDS WITH SIZE VARIANCES THEREFORE MIXING DECOYS IN SIZE WILL BRING A LITTLE BIT OF REALISM TO THE SPREAD
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon May 23, 2005 1:10 pm

Hmmm.....
Ive never really thought about the realism of size differences in the flocks :thumbsup:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Mon May 23, 2005 8:47 pm

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby huntmq1 » Tue May 24, 2005 12:41 am

Ask a female that same question! "Will a few more inches really matter?"
:laughing: :cool:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue May 24, 2005 5:01 pm

HuntMQ1 wrote:Ask a female that same question! "Will a few more inches really matter?"
:laughing: :cool:

:toofunny:

Well put, point taken!
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Brett Beinke » Wed May 25, 2005 11:05 am

Both decoys have their place. When I hunt larger water, size and numbers most definately count. Smaller water, not so much. The variety of the spread will do more for you then the size of the decoy. Different species, different looks/positions are all important in a spread.
Brett Beinke
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Wed May 25, 2005 6:36 pm

I use the Oversized/Mags by G&H... they're not the standard & not the Super Mags, these are right in the middle. They are more the actual size of a greenhead. :yes:

Bigger isn't always better & sometimes less is more. :thumbsup:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Wed May 25, 2005 9:14 pm

Gotta ask, Quackcephus are you married?
:laughing: :thumbsup:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed May 25, 2005 9:48 pm

With an attitude like that, I would hope so! :toofunny:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Larger decoys

Postby Duck Whittler » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:40 pm

If you want some bigger decoys in your spread, add a few goose decoys. Their size helps them stand out from a distance and adds some varietey to your spread also. I always put a few goose decoys out in a promenant place where they can be seen from a distance but are well within gun range.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:55 am

Not until recently (& I'm 42)... I ain't ever had any complaints & once the got 'em some Quack they always came back & back & back & back & back some more. :eek: :yes: :hammering: :tounge:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:33 pm

I would say they do they give a lot of realism and teh bird can see them better. but what I think geese work a lot better no only because of there size but they are also a confidents decoy.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby donell67 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:18 pm

:withstupid: yes the more geese the better. i only put out a couple dozen mallards and about 4 dozen geese. with other dekes too. but the geese are great confidence dekes. then you have a chance of getting geese also. i am hoping to get a dozen bigfoot floaters to add the spread this year.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby texan68 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:50 pm

Actually fellas....the purpose of oversized decoys, such as magnums and super magnums is to fool the ducks. It acts as an illusion in making the ducks feel like they are closer then they really are, so they lock there wings sooner, this giving you the hunter not only an easier shot, but more time to take a shot. You can mix magnums in with standards, but you want to place your mags in a place where the ducks are going to see them first, like on the outer rim of your spread. If you want ducks to see you from a greater distance the key is to have a really big spread. But you can always add decoys such as pintails, or snow geese. The ducks will key in on the brighter colors.
Last edited by texan68 on Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texan68
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:11 pm

texan68 wrote:actually fellas....the purpose of oversized decoys, such as magnums and super magnums is to fool the ducks. It acts as an ellusion in making the ducks feel like they are closer then they really are, so they lock there wings sooner, this giving you the hunter not only an easier shot, but more time to take a shot. You can mix magnums in with standards, but you want to place your mags in a place where the ducks are going to see them first, like on the outer rim of your spread. If you want ducks to see you from a greater distance the key is to have a really big spread. But you can always add decoys such as pintails, or snowgeese. The ducks will key in on the brighter colors.

Ducks have monocular vision so they don't have real good depth perception... ever notice 'em commin' in cupped up & their heads are turnin' from side to side... they're tryin' to calculate distance to target. Makes since to me 68. :yes:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:28 pm

im sure it might make a little difference, but i dont use them and i do fine. Its just easier for the ducks to see and what texan said. but u dont need them.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby gunman » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:43 pm

I always use about half adozen out at the point of my spread, especialy when hunting divers! it alows them to see you so much further away....It realy helps to put out a brigth colored one at the vary tip...something with alot of white like a ringneck or Goldeneye...as far as puddle ducks, I use a drake shovler and maybe a drake pintail....works great really gets there attention!
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:13 pm

Different sized decoys are always a welcome thing here. It makes the spread look bigger if you have different species and sizes. But, I always try to make sure mallards are the predominant species. Try to make sure you don't have an equal amount of each type of duck.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum