What kind of decoys do you use?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Postby texasduckblaster » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:48 pm

why do you guys spend so much on decoys?

i buy the cheapest decoys i can find and the birds like em just fine.
i think i currntly have remingtons or something. $17.00 doz.
texasduckblaster
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:50 pm

1 super lucky
1dzn flambue mallards
1dzn off brand hot buys
1dzn avery pintails

13 avery GHG fulls(6feeder,7sentry)
4 big feet
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:50 pm

texasduckblaster wrote:why do you guys spend so much on decoys?

i buy the cheapest decoys i can find and the birds like em just fine.
i think i currntly have remingtons or something. $17.00 doz.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I spend the money on decoys because I need to. Where I hunt you can see 6 spreads from your blind and I need a somewhat realistic decoy that doesn't shine because the paint got knocked off. Flambeau's are really bad about that and Carry-Lite's plastic is generally very light colored. The competition is pretty dang stiff around here and the birds get a really good look at the spread since we're hunting a large bay. Any advantage I can get I'll take.

Also, I try not to shoot ducks outside of 20 yards and a sometimes I land them before flushing them up off the water. Most of our birds are shot hovering 10 feet over the water. Another reason I spend so much on decoys is because I hunt 45+ days a season and for the reason mentioned above I'll spend the money on decoys whose paint doesn't come off.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:57 pm

Ronnie, I'm headed up to do a little trout fishing and a lot of beer drinking on the White this weekend as a matter of fact. We'll be up at Calico Rock and I'm mostly chasing the big trophy browns up there with Rapala's. We will have one dude with a fly rod, but I doubt he'll use it much. I may steal it from him for awhile. I'll probably come back with the wallet a bit lighter, a very torn up aluminum prop and, hopefully, a fully intact lower unit. :laughing:

I was pretty into the fly fishing scene for a couple of years. Not so much trout fishing, but more bass and bream. I looked like an idiot with a couple nice older Orvis rods and $40 Wal-Mart special reels on 'em. :laughing: Caught some fish and had fun. That's all that matters! :hammering:

You aren't outfitted with the Orvis floppy hat, the Orvis waders, the Orvis net and the Orvis vest are ya? If you really get into it Jeep used to offer a Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition awhile back. :yes: :laughing: :laughing:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:44 am

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:54 am

Just to keep with the original subject of the thread... If you have never hunted over corks before you are missing out. I have never seen a more realistic looking decoy in my life. The way they ride the water is nothing short of awesome when compared to plastics. I sure wish I had $6,000 to buy a bunch. :thumbsup:

Ronnie, I was really surprised by how much I liked the Wal-Mart rods. I actually prefer them over my Orvis rods. They work very well and I'm not freaking out that I'm going to snap a foot off the end of them. :mrgreen:

Yeah, we've always been partial to Calico Rock. I guess it's because I used to spend a bit of time up there when I was younger. I started this trip up with some old high school buddies and this will be our 9th year of making the trip which is a miracle if you knew the guys that go up there with me. :laughing:

How can you turn down a view like this from the deck of the cabin? :thumbsup:

ol' yeller
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:03 pm

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:44 pm

I should have specified on the corks. I have only had 3 of chances to hunt over corkers and only one of those times was there more than one in the spread. All have been Rick McAttee's decoys.

When in NW MO on, another forum's hunt, Rick had brought a doz. cork mallards and half a doz. cork woodies for us to drool over. One morning we decided we'd take them out and set them in the G&H decoy spread. The difference was night and day on how they rode and sat in the water. I found myself mulitple times thinking that some mallards had slipped in unseen and sat down. The other two times I've hunted over cork was when I bought my 2 decoys from him. Since he asks that you hunt them at least once I set them out in 30 mph winds. While my G&H, Flambeau, GHG and Carry-Lites were ramping over waves and jerking around the corks looked so close to real birds I couldn't believe it.

I agree with what you're saying about how certain decoys work at certain times and for certain people. It's like that with everything. Fishing, hunting, life, etc.

I bet you're going to be popping those woodies and others this year to save the feathers for fly tieing. We may be reading about you in Trout Unlimited before the end of next year. :laughing:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:14 pm

2 doz ghg mallards
1/2 doz ghg wigeon
1/2 doz ghg woodies
4 doz ghg scaup
1 doz ghg ringers
1/2 doz ghg gwt
1/2 doz ghg pintails
4 ghg fullbody mallards
1 doz redhead xps mallards
1/2 doz flambeau woodies
1.2 doz flambeau gwt
1/2 doz flambeau pintails
8 ghg oversized canada floaters (one set of each head style)
4 doz ghg oversized canada shells
2 doz other type of canada shells
100 texas rags canada goose

and a crapload of snow geese rags, shells and floaters..

i'm sure i forgot some

getting before season
some ghg gadwalls and black ducks

as far as luck goes depends on where and when i am hunting,
i have a specific rig i like to bring to each different situation and those different rigs change as the season goes on.
on average i do pretty good.
Rowdy
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:10 pm

I have six herters life size 63's, and six magnum 72's. Thats all I've needed so far, I may get some more. I have mallard mags and widgeon lifesize. I'd like to get some Gads because that is mostly what I shoot.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Cobra » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:51 pm

Had ~50 home made corks that were stolen, slowly replacing them, at 19 now but should have 9 Ring-Necks done by the openner. Partner and I inventoried the stash a week ago. In Plastic there are 12dz 'bills, 2dz cans, 18 'eyes, 12 Redheads, 7 Buffies(cork), 7 Ruddies(cork), 2 Hooded Mergansers(cork), 2 Pied-billed Grebes(cork) and 1 Loon(cork). Puddlers - 14dz asst Mallards, 2dz Blacks, 18 Widgeon, 12 Gadwall, 18 Woodies, 30 Pintails, 24 BW Teal, 18 GW teal and 3dz coots. 16 Floating Honkers with 20 butts, 16 Snows and Blues. Field ~ 40 Mallards shells converted from geese, 18 Bigfeet, 9 dz asst honker shells and 400 or so rags. Know it's alot but I've been doing this for a long, long time. Neat to never show the same rig twice either, a big advantage versus others generic rigs. Partner has 4dz asst puddlers and 6dz honker shells, actually more than enough to hunt over. -------- Most are seconds and closeouts. Never met a new plastic decoy that I liked as is, they all get re-painted coming out of the box anyway.
Cobra
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:44 am

[quote="texasduckblaster"]why do you guys spend so much on decoys?
quote]

:withstupid:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby kyfowler » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:55 am

13 G&H mallards mags.
27 asst. flambeau mallards old/new style
7 super mag carrylite mallards
2 blacks
doz. ghg woodies
9 g&h ringnecks
doz. bills
17 g&h canada floters
2 doz. g&h standard shells

g&h are hands down the best decoys i ever used. they hold up longer and the paint stays on longer.
kyfowler
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:22 pm

1 dz ghg mallards
1 dz carry lite mag. decoys (size matters)
1 greenwing teal deke (found)
4 unknown (all paint washed off)
1 dz heters golden eye mag (painted my self)
1 dz heters scoter Mag (painted my self)

I don't use all dekes at the same time (way to heavy)
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Previous

Return to Duck Decoy Forum