Duck Hunting Forum banner

Full Body Mallard Decoys

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dakotashooter2 
#1 ·
Hey fellas, I'm looking for some help and opinions on what are some good quality full body decoys for the money?

I don't field hunt but was looking to add some that I could put on the shore, ice, etc.

#2 ·
Recently sold my GHG Full Bodies and bought new GHG ProGrade FB's. Much nicer-looking mallards than their standard FB's.
They worked well for me this past season after modifying the bases and moving the cones in the bodies.

There are other good brands, but GHG are priced right and available from many vendors, one or two of which usually seem to have a sale going on....

The new Avian-X FB's are simply awesome-looking decoys, but man are they pricey. If I could afford them, that's how I would go.

#3 ·
mudpack said:
Recently sold my GHG Full Bodies and bought new GHG ProGrade FB's. Much nicer-looking mallards than their standard FB's.
They worked well for me this past season after modifying the bases and moving the cones in the bodies.

There are other good brands, but GHG are priced right and available from many vendors, one or two of which usually seem to have a sale going on....

The new Avian-X FB's are simply awesome-looking decoys, but man are they pricey. If I could afford them, that's how I would go.
Thanks for the info. I've noticed that the Dakota decoys are pretty pricey also. Are those good or just over priced?

#4 ·
Honestly , I don't think avians are over priced...I think people forget that they include a 6 slot bag with them. So assuming they are $100-$110, then add $40 for a decoy bag and it is the same price no matter what brand you buy. Now with that being said I personally run the old style GHG fullbodys. But I'm going to pick up some tanglefree fullbodys to try also. Now seeing that you want to use them on the ice I wouldn't consider avians for you because they only come with ground stakes which would be a real pain...plus they don't make a sleeper position yet. Therefore I'd go for tanglefree or find some old style GHG somewhere. Best of luck!

#5 ·
IowaWaterfowler10 said:
Honestly , I don't think avians are over priced...I think people forget that they include a 6 slot bag with them. So assuming they are $100-$110, then add $40 for a decoy bag and it is the same price no matter what brand you buy. Now with that being said I personally run the old style GHG fullbodys. But I'm going to pick up some tanglefree fullbodys to try also. Now seeing that you want to use them on the ice I wouldn't consider avians for you because they only come with ground stakes which would be a real pain...plus they don't make a sleeper position yet. Therefore I'd go for tanglefree or find some old style GHG somewhere. Best of luck!
If I was able to find some Dakota full bodies for a good price would you say I should grab those? Do you know anything about the storm front full bodies?

#6 ·
Personally I'm not a Dakota guy, never liked their postures or paint scheme. Although they are a solid decoy that comes with a steep price. But they are defiantly a decoy that will last. On the upside to that I've heard they really stand behind their products with great customer service. For the storm fronts...I haven't really heard people say they don't like them, and I'm curious myself. Another option is always Higdon.

#7 ·
GHG OS FBs, Avians or Dakotas. In that order.

A few things to touch here is the Avians and Dakotas are overpriced regardless if a bag is included. I can buy a Roger's FB dozen bag for $42 shipped. If you can find GHG OS FBs, go for it. Roger's just had the Blacks on sale at $150 a dozen. I picked up another dozen. GHG discontinued them though and the PGs were the replacement. IMO, the PGs look like garbage side-by-side a OS FB. They are smaller and the paint looks odd plus only come with stakes. The major downfall about FBs is staking after the freeze. I sold 10 dozen GHG OS Shells and 5 dozen Deadly Decoy Mallards because all were staked. It was a pain every morning and I never put the mass out. Stands on the other hand are expensive to buy if they are not supplied with the decoy.

The most realistic are Avians, but I haven't broke myself down to make a purchase for them at $284 a dozen. There are still some OS FBs floating around the web that can be purchased for around $150. There are some sellers getting $200 a dozen since many buyers know they were better than the PGs. Roger's does have the PG Harvester Pack with a bag for around $190. But, for me, they are staked again. I don't want to make the same mistake I once did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.