Duck Hunting Forum banner

Hidgeon Decoys, Battleship, and regular foam filled?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Weedwacker 
#1 ·
Opinions on these.

Probably wouldn't go with the battleship because of the price, but wondering about the regular foam filled. Regular foam filled seem to be a decent price.

Want to pick up some widgeon and pins to go with my mallards (killed only widgeon, pins, and ringnecks hunting over mallards this year). Maybe a few redhead, ringnecks or cans.

#2 ·
I'll keep an eye on this thread as well because I am prolly gonna be buying some this summer and fall.

I think i like the foam filled magnums as opposed to the regular size. You can get them in drakes only. I wouldnt mind going with a spread of 2dz greenheads then buying a dz black ducks. For me anyways, Maybe some pins thrown in if we are in the rice.

#4 ·
Uglymud said:
I have battleships and normal sized foam filled. I like them both for the price, the battleships are fairly heavy but they are massive. Only problem I've had is the heads are kinda thin where it attaches to the body had to replace two so far.
Do the battleships look weird next to smaller decoys and would that flare birds?

I have 12 Tangle-free mallards.

I am definitely going to get some pins, and maybe some widgeon. I had zero problems with widgeon decoying the mallards, but the pins were much more hesitant.

I don't know if I want to add 6 Widgeon and 12 pins, or 12/6, or 12/12.

#5 ·
endofadirtroad said:
Uglymud said:
I have battleships and normal sized foam filled. I like them both for the price, the battleships are fairly heavy but they are massive. Only problem I've had is the heads are kinda thin where it attaches to the body had to replace two so far.
Do the battleships look weird next to smaller decoys and would that flare birds?

I am definitely going to get some pins, and maybe some widgeon. I had zero problem with widgeon decoying the mallards, but the pins were much more hesitant.

Other than being double the size they look fine to me. I don't use them very often anymore due to the weight and space they take up on the boat, but I felt they looked good mixed in with normal decoys.

#6 ·
endofadirtroad said:
The magic numbers are 13 and 7. :thumbsup:

endofadirtroad said:
I am definitely going to get some pins, and maybe some widgeon. I had zero problems with widgeon decoying the mallards, but the pins were much more hesitant.
Pintail can be problematic sometimes no matter what decoys you have out. Still, if there are pintail in your area, a couple of pintail decoys are a good idea.

#7 ·
Uglymud said:
endofadirtroad said:
Uglymud said:

I am definitely going to get some pins, and maybe some widgeon. I had zero problem with widgeon decoying the mallards, but the pins were much more hesitant.

Other than being double the size they look fine to me. I don't use them very often anymore due to the weight and space they take up on the boat, but I felt they looked good mixed in with normal decoys.
Ditto this.
I do use them more in late season as they look more like a very mature migrating bird. Big and solid, no question or issue there. I hand wrap my decoy line on each mallard, so their weight is an issue when picking up .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.