Vortex with Air Ducks

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Vortex with Air Ducks

Postby Rat Creek » Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:30 pm

I went to Cabelas today to figure out how I was going to stimulate the economy this year and saw the vortex. Hard to describe, but basically there are two horizontal poles attached to an electric motor. On the end of the two poles are Air Lucky Decoys (the type that spin from air movement). As the vortex rotated, the two spinners looked great and provided great movement.

Has anyone used this device and how did it go?

Last year, we went old school without spinners and only using a jerk cord. Needless to say, our local competition with 4 - 5 spinners per blind did well while we, well, jerked our cords.

Thoughts?
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Vortex!

Postby btim98 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:11 pm

We hunted Reelfoot Lake last year out of the public blind and had 2 spinners and a couple of swimmers and held our own with the big private blinds. But about the last month the blind across the tree line put up one of the vortex, and we watched birds fall in on them the rest of the year. We got lucky again this year and got drew for another blind and bet your butt we will have a vortex in our hole. I called cabelas today as a matter of fact and asked what spinners worked best and they said any worked, but I didn't know that the Air luckies worked with it.
btim98
Newb

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:32 am

It looks good and all, but I can't see myself hauling that big thing out there. It bad with all the stuff I have now. Plus if you have to walk a little ways.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby hammer » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:12 pm

purchased my votex when they first hit the market in summer of 03. hunted over it last year using air lucky ducks with marginal success. i kept having problems with the decoys. you have to put weights in them to make it work right and the air lucky's are very loud. they also fell apart after a long season (the bracket on the decoys broke were the wing rod goes in. to some it up the air lucky's were alot of problems. and i realy think the noise flaired some ducks as the worked in closer. this year i went to two super lucky's (batt powered) and what a better deal.
very, very quiet, and looks good. we only just started our season but we are killing ducks. we'll see how it all goes. i do love the vortex sysytem and it not hard to set up or get into the field as long as your not humping it in.
hammer
Newb

Return to Duck Decoy Forum