Help with a long-line decoy rig!

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Help with a long-line decoy rig!

Postby duckmanwalking » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:24 am

I hunt out of a boat and need a quicker way to set out a lot of decoys. Can you give me a little help with rigging 2 or 3 dozen coys on the same line--with no messes? Thanks hunters.
Hold it. No not yet. Hold it.....(Boom) Go ahead, take-em! (The way my brother calls the shots.)
duckmanwalking
hunter

Postby duckmanwalking » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:12 pm

ok, so no one hunts with a long-line. Do you have any info on getting several dozen decoys out and in quicker? Right now, I have single lines with individual weights and wrap reach line around the keel several times and then around the head of the coy once, pinching the weight around its neck. I've seen were some guys use a sinch and just move the weight to the bottom of the decoy and slide the sinch up the line. I'll try this if no one has any other ideas.
Hold it. No not yet. Hold it.....(Boom) Go ahead, take-em! (The way my brother calls the shots.)
duckmanwalking
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:20 pm

There is a guy on ebay that sells a nontangle wire snap and cord. they hook to your dekes and you can snap them to a main line when you put them out. real fast! I use them. send me a msg if you can't find them and I will give you his address.
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby duckmanwalking » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:37 pm

Thank you! Just what I was looking for!! Thanks again.
duckmanwalking
hunter

those snaps are great!

Postby shoalwatersam » Sat Sep 11, 2004 6:19 pm

Hey I tried out those snaps from ebay. Man I've been going about setting decoys all wrong. That guy who sells them on ebay has a website now and is selling them direct I bought some from his website. Lemme know if anyone needs the url these things are heaven sent!
shoalwatersam
Newb

Postby weedsnager » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:30 am

what's the web site?
weedsnager
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:38 am

Yea I would like to take a look at it too.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

long line rigs

Postby shoalwatersam » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:33 pm

The url is www.znapz.com.
shoalwatersam
Newb

making a long line

Postby rbach270 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:29 pm

I have found a good (and inexpensive) way to make a solid longline spread is by using "550" para cord avilable at most places that sell camping stuff ie. Gander Mtn. , Scheels, Fleet Farm... Take 150' of cord and zip tie fishing stringer clips out about every 3 to 4 feet spacing them a little further on one end then the other. Make two such rigs one being about 100'-150' and the other about 75'-100' long. Weight both ends of each line with coffee cans full of concrete with an I-bolt in them or as I have done old window weights. When it comes time to put out your rigs just clip on the decoys (which are stored cordless and weightless) on the line. Put the two lines in a v shape or modifyed j hook and close the front end off with rigged decoys, also place several dozen rigged decoys on either side of the line to break up the unaturalness of it. Divers are suckers for this setup and it cost less then 50 dollars start to finish. Oh yeh, store lines on extention cord holders with caribeaners on each end for quick snapping to weights.
rbach270
Newb

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:30 am

Here is a quick way to set out a lot of decoys.

Get some no tangle cord(its like a plastic flex cord). Get some no slip anchors, they are long oval shaped with two holes through them. Rig each decoy with the ancor so it slips like a sinker along the cord. Set decoys in groups of 4 and tie into one not with line. When you go to set them out you just undo one simple knot and toss all 4 decoys out at a time, the sinker slides down and will catch.

We did this last year and the decoys looked pretty good and you could throw a bunch out in hardly no time.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby 10 ga. » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:26 am

Hey I got these Znapz to I used them the other day for the first time and they are amazing I cannot believe how fast and simple they are.
10 ga.
DHC Sponsor

Postby acenthehole » Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:53 pm

Great Info, So how do you make the rigs so they are not in a straight line.
Thanks
acenthehole
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:09 am

I hook weights (4oz depending on current) to a snap and put it on the line where i want it to make a group
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum