Does anybody here like flams?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Does anybody here like flams?

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:54 am

I think they look like a frickin cartoon character. :thumbsdown:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Mallyard » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:28 pm

yep they sure do.... the divers all look like they ate too much taco bell the night before, and can't get it out of there system... :toofunny:
They're all trying to impersonate ghg.. they'll never do it though.

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:07 pm

Mallyard wrote:They're all trying to impersonate ghg.. they'll never do it though.

Mallyard

Uhm I think they are all just trying to impersonate a duck...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:28 pm

Mallyard wrote:yep they sure do.... the divers all look like they ate too much taco bell the night before, and can't get it out of there system... :toofunny:
They're all trying to impersonate ghg.. they'll never do it though.

Mallyard

One thing I absolutely hate about GHG fans is they are so damn cocky. G&H had the resting duck decoys long before they did at $60 a dozen. Looks just like the lifesize only better paint, so I guess GHG is trying to copy G&H. Older Flambeaus are great decoys.

You GHG types will be singing a different song when China nukes us when we make them mad. They have already said that nukes are a possibility if we interfere, and they are buying all the major american oil companies. So lets just keep feeding their economy and military and see what happens.

Nobody asked about GHG so don't bring it up! Sorry Mallyard, but I am so damn tired about hearing GHG this GHG that I have damn near quit comming to this sight. If people every pulled their head out of their butt and bought AMerican instead of whats cheap we would be alot better place. Yes GHG has some good looking decoys that attract hunters as does the price, but I think the paint is mainly to attract hunter not necessarily ducks. Plus it doesn't last long if you hunt hard. Major factory in my home town just shut down. Jobs going to Mexico.

Off of my soapbox.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:38 pm

what the hell does this have to do with china? and what do u mean we are cocky its not like a fricken sport or anything? just wonderin.

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Mallyard » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:16 pm

Ok, I'll try and make this short.
IMO ever since GHG decoys hit the market, other companies have upgraded there decoys with more realistic paint. ex. carrylite, flamb... to just name a few. I know GHG isn't the only decoy out there, but it's the only decoy I perfer. I still throw out my Flamie mags, and I shoot ducks over em. I have nothing agenst Flam, I just think there new decoys look constipated. I too agree that some of flamies old deeks where good deeks, as my buddie owns about 200 of the older ones. I think they look fine. It's just that I think GHG has stepped up to the plate and made the most realistic decoy on the market, now weather GHG decoys will shoot more ducks than G&H or Flamies I don't know... I highly doubt it. It's just the satisfaction that i get that when using ghg decoys. I can look out in my spread and honestly say that my decoys look VERY lifelike. G&H makes some AWSOME decoys, and from what I hear they hold up alot better than any decoy. Now the only G&H decoys I've ever hunted over are some G&H floaters.. I was impressed with the way they looked. My budget just wont allow me to go out and buy 4 doz G&H decoys. I wish I could, I just can't. Therefor I bought GHG. The only paint problem I've had with my decoys is a hen wdgn has about a 1" by 1" patch missing off her cheek. All my other decoys have small scratches but nothing you would notice from 5 yards away.. And if a duck is 5 yards away from one of me decoys, he won't be able to see them anyway, cuse he'd be feet up and not movin.
I'm sorry if I caused any conflict, as that was not my intention. I respect your opinions and maybe one day if I strike it rich I can buy a doz or 2 G&H's and try em out. I will also promise to NEVER bring up GHG decoys agian unless someone asks my opinion on them.
Your an awsome guy ks_waterfowler... And I hope I didn't offend you too much.. :thumbsdown:
Well this isn't short after all.. lol...

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:34 pm

Sorry Mallyard, I apologize. It wasn't directed at you, but I have never met a group of more snuck up snobs than some of the avery people. Pent up frustration. The talk their product up all the time, then I buy one, the paint comes off and they won't replace them not just 1X1 squares but damn near the hole head on three decoys out of a dozen (25%). Everybody has their own thing. Carrylites haven't changed much, neither has G&H. Flambeau is simply trying to save their company which has a serious duck decoy issue. I have some goose decoys that are great. Again, sorry Mallyard, but I am sick of people plugging those damn chinese made decoys at every oportunity (spelling?). Nobody else does it about any other decoys, and lately it damn nears borders on spam.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:42 pm

My favorite water duck decoy is the Otter Magnum. IMO there are no deeks that ride higher and have a better profile than Otters. That is all fine and dandy for someone that is set up in one spot. I travel too much and pull the deeks in and out too much.
Therefore I want a deke that I can throw as far as I can and will flip up right. I don't want heads that twist and come apart because I have 200 Flambeau Super mags in my boat blind. They throw easily, but more importantly I have to pick up 200 everyday.. I want something that I can "Grab the bill and gyrate until the 4 1/2' leader and 6 ounce weight goes around the neck quickly."
I don't think that they are the best lookin but I think for a plasitc deek that is fairly cheap and large they are practical. They do have drawbacks: not the best lookin in the bunch, they crack at the seams of the keel sometimes, and they become brittle when banged off of each other in really cold weather. If I buy another dozen it will be supermags because I can buy in bulk for cheap. And let's face it if I am buying 200 21" mallard deeks, Flambeau is probably the most practical. And yes I like G and H. I have a couple of dozen mallards and 2 dozen pintail supermags.
whitefeather
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:08 pm

IMO, Flambeau makes the worst decoy I've ever used. Carry-Lite is a VERY close second. Flambeau's do look like something I would expect a cartoonist to draw and the paint always came off on me after 3 or 4 hunts. They're a waste of money and time.

Avery makes a great decoy now that they have their paint issues under control. My biggest problem with them, and the reason I no longer buy any of their gear, is their business practices. It doesn't have to do with the China thing because from where I stand (even though I don't like it) it is their decision and perfectly legal. My bone to pick with them is their president of the company. The guy has the most God awful customer service I have ever seen from a guy that is in a position that high. I have told him on their forums what I think of him and that I will not buy anymore Avery products because I will not put money in his pockets.

Now...the best decoys that are out, IMO, as far as durability goes is G&H. I have hunted over 20 year old G&H's that still looked great considering their age. 4 seasons ago I decided to buy all new decoys and ordered 8 doz. G&H's in magnum and super magnum. A few show wear, but the majority look almost brand new and that's with over 160 hunts on them being picked up every day.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:36 am

I have three dozen 15 year old flambeaus that work awesome. They look great and are tough as nails. The new ones definately suck though.

I try to buy as much G&H deeks as possible, buy them once, pass them down to your kids. I have almost 10 dozen GHG duck deeks, the hot buys IMHO are a great deal and I use them all the time as fillers in the spread. The others are a little over priced for the quality IMHO. If your going to spend $20 on a dozen deeks, get hot buys. If you are going to spend $65 on a set of decoys, buy G&H. That is my theory anyway. I spend so much money on tangle free line and slip weights so I can get my spread of 12 dozen deeks out fast that I don't want to have to replace the decoy every season. Averys are what they are, a good cheap priced decoy.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby firebird » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:42 pm

Have you ever noticed in duck hunting videos that they use darn near everything with good sucess? In the old duck commander series they used as many as 3 different brands and did awfully well. Because they were in a spot where ducks wanted to be already. We used dry cow pies on a pond in Arizona once with phenominal success, we kicked ducks off, threw pies on the water and darned if they didnt' lock up and drop in! Decoys don't matter near as much as being in the right place at the right time. ..
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:37 pm

98ramtough wrote:I have three dozen 15 year old flambeaus that work awesome. They look great and are tough as nails. The new ones definately suck though.

I try to buy as much G&H deeks as possible, buy them once, pass them down to your kids. I have almost 10 dozen GHG duck deeks, the hot buys IMHO are a great deal and I use them all the time as fillers in the spread. The others are a little over priced for the quality IMHO. If your going to spend $20 on a dozen deeks, get hot buys. If you are going to spend $65 on a set of decoys, buy G&H. That is my theory anyway. I spend so much money on tangle free line and slip weights so I can get my spread of 12 dozen deeks out fast that I don't want to have to replace the decoy every season. Averys are what they are, a good cheap priced decoy.

I love the old "woody woodpecker billed" supermagnum mallard flams. The bodies on those decoys were huge. They stuck out from a distance and had a large profile. I am excited to see the extreme mallards because I am hoping that the body profile has better visibility. The only problem I have with the old flam super mags was that alot of them leak where the keel joins the bottom of the decoy.
whitefeather
hunter

Postby firebird » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:54 pm

I confess to owning a dozen of the woodpecker supermags. They occasionally get set out with my goose dekes in a cornfield. I always wondered why something that big lacked so much detail and why they only painted the hens plain mud brown!
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:11 pm

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby firebird » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:18 am

Very good summary! I have acutually hunted the Arkansas Pits a time or time and love being surrounded by a lake of fake ducks. I will add one brand of decoy that hasn't to my knowledge seen any press time yet and that is Cabela's, who put their name on probably the most realistic looking commercial mallards to date. They are same price range as G&H and 2 different head positions. I don't as of yet own any so can't say how they ride or wear but would be worth trying...Also lots of guys advocate the Hot Buys, but the keel design requires a more expensive J-hook anchor or you have to wrap commercial lead strap types aroung the neck which takes the paint off any decoy in a hurry, so the hot buys do end up costing some extra and still lack a way to secure the line to the keel to maintain the correct depth. Pros and cons to everything, it pays to be as educated as possible then make the right choice. Now if only someone could sum up women for me....
firebird
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:35 am

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby firebird » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:03 pm

I am excited to see what else Pat and the good folks at Cabela's can conjure up! With the keel thing I was just pointing out that Hot Buy is nothing more than a lucrative term, I used cut up bicycle tire tubing as it lasts longer than rubber bands but same overall concept. As for QUALITIES I admire,well....
firebird
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:58 pm

where do yall buy ur g and h? i have never seen them up close. not even at bass pro.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:30 pm

Gooseboy wrote:where do yall buy ur g and h? i have never seen them up close. not even at bass pro.

I see you are from OK. Their factory is in Henryetta, OK. Lots of places have them cabelas, wingsupply, etc. Can buy them off of ebay too.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby okduckhntr » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:40 pm

Gooseboy, Call G&H in Hennryetta and ask if they have any "seconds" available. Their "seconds are better than most everyone else's first. Being from Oklahoma, I'm suprised you didn't already know this!

I've been hunting here since '75 with everything from old animal trap paper mache to the new ghg's , and killed untold numbers of ducks over the older flambeaus and G&H. I bought 6 dz ghg last season and the paint looked good until about the third trip out. Some of my Flambeau and G&H are still in orignal paint after 2 decades of hunting. That should say something about the quality.

I agree with most of what has already been said.....location is #1 thing, but if new decoys instill some extra confidence, buy whatever fits your budget. I just wonder how the ghg are going to look 20 or thirty years from now?

Good luck....and remember "there ain't no ducks in OKLAHOMA!"
Lady walks into a bar with a duck, BARTENDER: "Hey, get that old coot out of here"
LADY: "That's not a coot, it's a duck!"
BARTENDER: "I was talking to the duck!"
okduckhntr
hunter

Postby okduckhntr » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:59 pm

Gooseboy, Call G&H in Hennryetta and ask if they have any "seconds" available. Their "seconds are better than most everyone else's first. Being from Oklahoma, I'm suprised you didn't already know this!

I've been hunting here since '75 with everything from old animal trap paper mache to the new ghg's , and killed untold numbers of ducks over the older flambeaus and G&H. I bought 6 dz ghg last season and the paint looked good until about the third trip out. Some of my Flambeau and G&H are still in orignal paint after 2 decades of hunting. That should say something about the quality.

I agree with most of what has already been said.....location is #1 thing, but if new decoys instill some extra confidence, buy whatever fits your budget. I just wonder how the ghg are going to look 20 or thirty years from now?

Good luck....and remember "there ain't no ducks in OKLAHOMA!"
Lady walks into a bar with a duck, BARTENDER: "Hey, get that old coot out of here"
LADY: "That's not a coot, it's a duck!"
BARTENDER: "I was talking to the duck!"
okduckhntr
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum