Greenhead Gear SNAP-LOCK keel deeks

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Greenhead Gear SNAP-LOCK keel deeks

Postby JPgreenhead » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:29 pm

i just bought a dozen snap-lock weighted keel deeks...and i was wandering if anyone else used them and if they liked them or not

Jordan
JPgreenhead
hunter

I have used them

Postby mccullough01 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:48 pm

I have 3 dozen Widgoen, dozen pintails, and 5 dozen mallards. I've used hem in the nastiest water in the bay in howling winds and have never had a problem with them coming free or standing up right. I think there really nice. The only thing that I didn't like is snapping them together it is really tough and I actually snapped on keel.
mccullough01
Newb

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:39 pm

i'm sure that there will be a number of people along soon to cry a bucket of tears about the snaplock keels. but until then..i'll toss in my humble opinion on them.

they can sometimes be a pain to put on..a couple of my widgeon dekes required a little extra attention with a rubber mallet to get it to the final snap point, but i've never had one come off and have no complaints.

just make sure you get it snap twice when you put them on. you may have to pull the keel out away from the bottom of the deke to get it to slide the last 1/2 inch into position. you will see a line that shows where the keel is supposed to slid up to. if it isn't there...it isn't fully locked in.

all in all..i have no problems and no complaints.

GHG!! best value in dekes out there IMO.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:57 pm

Here is a post I posted last year explaining my luck with snap locks.....Hopefully you had better luck than me! Seems like after you get the keels on they work great, too bad they didn't come with the keels on in the first place.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Today I got 6 life size wood duck decoys from GHG with the snaplock keels. What a joke. The first one went in with a little gentle love from a 2x4. The second one would not even start, the plastic on the decoy had moved in tight so it would not even start to go in. It is pretty cold here, in the 20s so I thought maybe if I used a hairdrier it would soften up and go in.

Well after an hour, a hammer, a 2x4, a heat gun and a VISE I was able to put the snaplock in a vise, and slam the decoy into it nothing short of completely putting all of my 280lb self on it. I guess the positive note is at least they probably won't fall off like some said? I think I will throw some glue in just to be sure.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:07 pm

What I do is get the keel inserted in the line. Then I push hard as I can. I kinda get a runnin start on it. They usually go in fine. Buit if they don't I break out the rubber mallet.
If all else fails chuck the keel in the neibors flower garden. Then take your piece of decoy line tie either a single or double knot in it depending on thickness. Then slide it into the track on the bottom of the decoy. This works great if hunting in low wind situations you'll get AMAZING movement out of your spread since there's no keel to stop it from turning when the wind hits it. And you can allways wrap the weight around the head. This is also great if your packing decoys in aways. A doz ghg decoys with weighted keels are equal to 2 1/2 doz flamb water keels. I've noticed that ghg decoys are alot heavier than other brands. I just bought a sled so I don't have to wory bout that anymore.. :thumbsup:

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackkiller » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:36 pm

I have had very few problems with the snap lock keels. Most of mine have gone on easy and a few have required a little more force, but nothing to make me hate them. I really like being able to take the keel off, when the water ices over, you can take the keel off and set them on the ice. You can also take the keel off and set a few decoys on a log or on the bank. Works really well for me. :thumbsup:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:46 pm

Ive never even heard of this "snap lock keel".....

Can someone post a pic or tell what they are?
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:55 pm

ARN - the keels on the GHG lifesize series come seperate from the deke. there is a groove that runs lengthwise on the bottom of the deke and the keel slides into it and locks into place with two detent style locks.

hence the name..snap - lock

they can sometimes be a real pain in the butt to install as they are just molded plastic and each keel/deke combination is not precision matched and spec'ed to close tolerances. you'd think that for 35 bucks a dozen that would be the least they could do. :laughing:
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:24 pm

I have some pintails, bluebills and wood ducks with the snap lock keels. They were a pain in the butt to get on, but I took that as they would be a pain in the butt to get out.

I did have a few that backed out, so I took all of the keels out, ran a bead of silicone down the part of the keel that slid into the decoy and haven't had a problem since.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:27 am

Yeller - i have yet to have one back out on me. lucky i guess. i know others that have. the installation instructions actually recommend using a bead of hot glue when installing the keels to ensure they stay put. i haven't used it, but i'll bet the silicone is as good if not better than the glue.

If i start having troubles i'll probably do the silicone thing on mine.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:55 am

Swamp, I don't doubt that. It was probably more my fault that the keels popped out.

I know one keel came out on it's own, but I think the others came out because of how we put them up. We normally drag the boat out with us after the hunt and drop the anchor just enough that it will stay put. We then pick up the decoys, wrap up the line and chunk them into the boat. That could be anywhere from 2' to 20'. We definitely don't baby them.

The silicone worked out great. I didn't have a hot glue gun and wasn't going to buy one just for decoys, so I used the silicone. I have tried smacking the keels on the hearth and I can't get the keels out. :thumbsup:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:27 pm

Thanks guys!

Swamp Puppy wrote: you'd think that for 35 bucks a dozen that would be the least they could do. :laughing:

So these only cost 35/dozen..... as in 12 dekes? :eek: are these standard or magnum sized.....

Im really interested in it now :cool:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby tombuddy_90@hotmail.com » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:57 am

hey well i just went and super glued them on and haven't had any problems now just my 2cents
tombuddy_90@hotmail.com
Newb

Postby firebird » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:29 pm

I have almost 10 dozen GHG in various species and have had no problems getting keels inserted, although I admit I don't see the advantage of the snap lock keel... One thought about transporting them as I read through. We took an old motorcycle tire used a bolt for an axle and two 2x4s for handles and wire grate for a bottom. Much like a wheel barrow. We pack dekes and guns and small coolers on it without much trouble, not as noisy or resistant as a sled and easy to stash in the cattails. I have had keels come free but most likely my fault for not locking them into that second snap-I was originally thinking about removing them to put in fields but now I jsut leave them on, and snapped twice.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:55 pm

ARN - yeah, it's about 35 bucks for a dozen (12) lifesize series mallard dekes. they are standard size, maybe a tad bigger..but certainly not magnums.

Yeller - HA!! that sounds exactly like how we pull our dekes in the boat..except for the anchor part. we usually have 2 guys up front and one guy drives the boat through the spread and we just haul 'em in and toss 'em in the bottom of the boat...then walk around on them so we can find a spot to sit down as we motor off to the next place and then toss 'em out again. we're real careful with ours....lol.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum