Motorized duck

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Motorized duck

Postby KAhunter » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:50 pm

I recently purchased a motion decoy, my first one... its a herters twin prop swimming decoy... anyone used this before??? wonder if it works well... got it cheap so i figured i would try it out... thanks
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:06 am

I haven't used that particular model that Herter's is selling, but I have used that exact type of torpedo. They will twist your decoy line like you will not believe. I tried attaching swivels to the line, but it still twisted. Also, if the water has even a little hint of trash in it the prop will get something in it and lock up. It turned out to be a pain having to go out and clear the prop every 20 min. or so.

In the season we used them they did a great job of bring in birds. They don't move much water, but when the birds saw the decoy swimming in large circles they locked up on it.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:37 pm

SEEMS LIKE A GOOD CONCEPT/IDEA.....HOWEVER I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH KA, THE LIKLIHOOD OF TANGLES WITH WEEDS, FLOATING GRASSES ETC. WOULD OUTWEIGH THE EFFECTIVENESS
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:42 pm

Take a small bilge pump and an old decoy. Cut a hole in the bottom for the bilge pump to fit down in and run some wire back to a battery in the blind. That thing will kick up plenty of water and you can turn it off and on. Takes a little bit of tweeking to get it to work right but it moves a ton of water when ya got it set right. On top of that I think the bilge pump cost maybe 8 bucks. The only other cost is if ya add some expandable foam around it to make is float nicely. Oh yeah and some clear plastic hose to shoot the water in the direction you want.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:28 pm

KA dont just throw them out or you will loose batteries like they are going out of style.
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duck Whittler » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:29 pm

I use a similar one on calm days goes through the battery in about 3 hours, so get you some rechageable ones. As for the problem with it twisting the line up get a good stainless steel ball bearing swivel on it and you won't have that problem. Works real good on calm days or early in the morning before the wind picks up.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum