changing water keel

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

changing water keel

Postby the old man » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:48 pm

Has anyone ever change water keel decys over to wieghted keel? I have a bunch of Mallard water keel decoys that I'm changing over to blue bills. I was thinking about putting cement inside the keel. Thanks [size=18][/size]
You don't have to be crazy to duck hunt, but it helps.
the old man
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:35 pm

I never done it but all you have to do is put some sand in there and seal it up with a glue gun. I'm actually thinking of heading the other way. I've got some weighted keels I'm thinking of cutting off on the ends and making them water keels.
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:28 pm

I have done so, What I did was put in a piece of cardboard about 1/4 in both sides and added one on those flexible weights all balled up in both ends leaving no weight in middle and silicone it tight work great even better than those I bought a little heavy though so next time ill add half the weight in both ends.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jmike » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:04 pm

go buy a roll or two of pencil lead ..you knoe the kind you can crimp on to fishing line, slide it through bend the ends and off u go , best part is if you neeed to pack in somewere you can pull it out and your bak to water keels.....works for me ......jmike
dont shoot till there feet are down
jmike
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:35 am

Caulk one end and let dry over night, and next day add sand and caulk the open end.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to Duck Decoy Forum