Coot Decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Coot Decoys

Postby GADKHNTR » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:48 pm

Guys I gotta buy some coot decoys and can't see myself paying 50 bucks a dozen for the flambeau's from cabelas...or 78 a doz for g&h...or 75/doz for herters. They're just black decoys..anybody know any decent, cheap alternatives?
Thanks a lot.
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:10 pm

Paint some standard teal Decoys Black?

Sand those down get good ruff surface and thin coat of primer and them your black paint should work well
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:41 pm

I thought about the teal decoys also..........you might want to try spray painting 20 oz soda bottles black as well; that might work.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:54 pm

GHG hot buys are like 25 a dozen.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby JJ McGuire » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:39 am

Gooseboy wrote:GHG hot buys are like 25 a dozen.

and a can of black spray paint you will be wacking coot in no time! :thumbsup:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby 88will88 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:52 am

check E-BAY. they usually have a large selection and they are way cheaper then buying them new.
88will88
hunter

Postby weedsnager » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:10 am

just buy some cheap flambeau's and paint them!
weedsnager
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:31 am

The bottles do work but they need to be mixed with decoys too.
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:49 am

As for wacking coot, coot gumbo, Mmmmmmmmm

Also guys use coot decoys as confidence decoys when hunting Mallards and Pintails. I remember years ago an old cajun that used a 100 coot decoy spread and 2 Pintial decoys, he shot more Pintial than anyone in the area. That was back in the point system days.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Fatweed » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:00 pm

Just use Crows......... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Fatweed
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:09 pm

Coots Decoy??

Huh..Learn something new everyday i guess. I always figured people just used them as confidence decoys. I never realised those feathered turds would actually decoy into a spread. :laughing:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby gunman » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:05 pm

I was up at Fleet Farm today, and they had some for sale, for the life of me I can' remember how muchbut it wasn't a bad price....that is if you have a Fleet Farm in your area.....-Chris
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby GADKHNTR » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:49 pm

Nah I'm not planning on wacking the coot...but in my area the coots outnumber ducks 5to1 or so..and the divers raft up with them..therefor, in order for your spread to look realistic you need to have a ton of coot decoys in there.
I've thought about buying some cheapos and painting them...but the shape would be all wrong..i just dunno.
thanks for the help everyone
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:38 am

I was able to pick up half a dozen on ebay, new flambeau's, for about $20. Just gotta be at the right place at the right time on the auctions. Got em as confidence dekes.
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Cobra » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:47 pm

Favorite bluebird day rig is 3dz coots and 1 big fat lonely hen. Solo drakes have a hard time not swing by. Great natural fillers for any type rig, never seen a live one where there wasn't easy food available.
Cobra
hunter

Postby chase83 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:19 pm

I tried Coot decoys last year....Definitly worth the effort.. We had our best season last year and I think cause of coot because most in our area did poor and we did awesome...and most ducks landed close to the coot dekes...

You can go to Hardware store and buy a spray paint that is a shinny black for plastic Forget name but the stuff is awesome...Very very very strong paint .. Then paint the bills white... You will shoot more ducks .. I would also throw a mallard or two into the mix and definitly a couple widgeon...If you ever hunt by coot then you know that the other ducks will always land by coot and the reason is because coot will stir food up from bottom and Puddlers will pick right off of them

Do it You will increase your bag!!
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:57 pm

Just a question, Why the hell do you want coot decoys?
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Cobra » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:21 pm

Coots = FOOD Ever see a coot where there wasn't an easy meal available? I haven't. Casual confidence to most any bird flying by, never seen any other hunters use them in my area.
Cobra
hunter

Old Coots?

Postby yellodog1 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:08 pm

Why would you want to get coots anyway?
It reminds me of a friend of mine that we got in to duck hunting last year. We brought him out once or twice and got jim a couple of mallards. He went out on his own one day and shot 2 merganzers. I was happy for him when he told me. However when I asked him what he did with them, he Replied, "cleaned em, Cooked em, and ate em."
My buddy and I that have been hunting a while started laughing.

I asked how they tasted and he said that they werent too bad, but that he had marinated them for 3 days.
His reply was "Whats wrong with them, and why wouldnt you guys hunt them?"

In short "IF THEY DONT MAKE DECOYS FOR THEM, YOU SHOULDNT BE EATING EM."

Now I know they make coot decoys, but I dont see much of a difference between a coot and a merganzer. But then again people do fish for crappie.
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:02 pm

Anything tastes good if its cooked right, and seasoned right. A duck is a duck. But i wouldnt eat a coot, thats nasty. :laughing: If you like chicken gizzards though, coots have an unusually large gizzard, they say theyre good. We hunt coot dekes a lot specially on big open lakes. Birds will fall into a wad of coots way more than if you were using regular decoys.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby GADKHNTR » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:46 pm

Perhaps you fellas should read my above post where it's explained explicitly...but I'll do it again.
I do not shoot coots.
I shoot ducks.
Go on lake seminole and see where you see the ducks. You will see them rafted with hundreds of coots.
Therefor, to have a spread that looks natural, you need more coots than ducks...you'll never just see dozens of ducks hanging out by themselves out there.
GADKHNTR
hunter

Postby waterfowler82 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:41 pm

I think that you guys make a great point about including coots to create a natural looking spread. I am in the middle of a foamer project...actually my first foamer project. I'll see how the first duck turns out (I'm planning on making it into a hen mallard) but perhaps I'll allot some of the material to making up some coots.
Good luck,
Justen
waterfowler82
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum