Stringing up decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Stringing up decoys

Postby ucdal » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:42 pm

I am pretty new to my own duck hunting equipment, usually I hunt with guys that have everything set up for me, so my question is this, what is the best method for stringing up decoys??????

TIA

:withstupid:
ucdal
Newb

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:02 pm

i just use a length of line ( i prefer no-tangle) that is about 1-2 feet longer than the water i am expecting to hunt in with a standard mushroom style weight.

tie one end to the deke and the other to the weight..then wrap 'em up and you're ready to go.

hope that answers your question.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby texan68 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:29 pm

that no tangle stuff is nice for warm water hunting, but if you are huntin in the teens, that stuff freezes and breaks in a few seconds out of water. I use 80lbs fishing line.....ties real nice knots, and no freezing. I just tie a simple loop on both ends, and string it through. I use standard strap, mushroom strap, and 6 and 8oz fishing weights. :thumbsup:
texan68
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:34 am

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

decoy string

Postby MicroMike » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:36 pm

Texan68, you must hunt in the panhandle!
MicroMike
hunter

Stringing dekes

Postby Dep666 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:50 pm

Well this is how I string dekes.....

First is the line you use. I hunt some of the coldest weather, so that tangle free stuff is definetly out. I use military 550 cord(Parachute cord). It is tough, hard to break , and sinks. I usually hunt refuges , but I occasionally hunt the fingerlakes(central NY) and even Lake Ontario. My cord lengths are about 5 ft-8 ft.

The weights I use are the mushroom weights. I take a rubberband and attatch it to the weight so when I wind the cors around my keel, I just wrap the band around also . This helps keep those dreded decoy bag tangles.

On quick tip......when you tie your weight to the line, dab a beed of hot glue on the knot. Just a little reinforcement that the knot won't come undone.

I use swivels when I attatch the line to my decoys. It keeps the line from twisting up.

Good luck....................Matt
Dep666
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:44 pm

Good advice. Also make sure to burn the ends of your decoy line so that it does not unravel on you through the course of the season. Might be a given but just thought I would throw it out there.
Mike M.
hunter

Tie to the front or back

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:58 am

Do you guys tie the string on the front or back of the decoy? My thought is back becuase he it will turn away from the wind.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby Duck Whittler » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:29 am

Ducks don't normaly set with their butts to the wind, it ruffles their feathers, but a few that way keeps them from all looking like soldiers in formation
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:11 am

I use 80 to 100 lb. test mono for my lines and Ace anchor system on all of my decoys. I don't tie any knots I use crimping sleeves. I know I'm a bit of a fanatic, but in clear water I don't like the idea of a green cord coming off the front of my deks, can't look to cool from the air. I have been using mono for over 20 years and most of the lines have lasted that long. The Ace system saves the paint on the dekes and never a tangle. As was mentioned make the lines a couple feet longer than the deepest water you may encounter. The GHG dekes have a little slot on the front of the keel , If you keel wrap your dekes ( this will save the paint) you simply take the required amount of line off the keel and slip the line in the slot leaveing the unwanted line on the keel. THis meathod of controlling the length of line is great for the dogs as well. And it speeds up bringing them in . I hunt right into freeze up and it doesn't effect the mono at all.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum