Duck Hunting Forum banner

robo decoys and goose huntin

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  h2ofwlr 
#1 ·
Robo duck decoys?I have a 2 part question. Part 1 is i am looking at getting a robo duck , my 2 options are the Mojo duck or the Lucky Duck. Which one is better? Part 2 is I do a lot of field hunting for geese, so how will robo duck help or hurt me in this area. thanks for any advise.

#2 ·
I can't be of much help for part 1. I use the Lucky Ducks and haven't had any problems. I haven't had much experience with the mojo's so I can't give you the pros and cons.

As for part 2, the spinners will work wonders on ducks in the fields. Just find a way to get them turned off when you have geese working. Geese have a tendency to get a bit spooked from spinners.

#3 ·
i talked to a employee at gander mountain at the maplewood store and he swears by useing robo dekes in his goose spreed for geese. especially during the early goose season. oh ya another question. does it matter to use drake or hen robo deks? any opinions (about dekes) are appreciated. thanks.

#4 ·
I'm not going to call anyone a liar because I have been proved wrong more than once before, but I would like to see that one before I believe it. Maybe for a water setup, but I can;t see that help much in a field setup. :umm:

I know for a fact that others on this site can attest to this when I say geese sometimes will not finish with a robo duck going in the spread. They will hit that 35-40 yard range and slide off to one side or the other rather than committing right in. There are always exceptions to the rule, but I like to keep the law of averages in my favor.

Back to question regarding hen vs. drake. I have and will use both. I like the hen more earlier in the season since most ducks don't have much plumage early in the year. But to play devil's advocate to my own answer, those drake spinners really stick out on those sunny days. That should make the decision about as clear as mud :mrgreen:

#5 ·
Either the guy is full of it, pulling your leg or is darned lucky.
But they do attract geese-very similar principle as flagging is. But in MN no remote controls are allowed, but you can "hard wire" a switch and it is legal. But like Dereck said--they will slide off to the side. I got the "look" from Derek several times in CA last fall for the spinner being on. :toofunny:

As for brand, both are good, i use the Lucky--very good value IMHO. I have heard the Mojos are the Cadillac of the spinners-but do cost more, like almost twice as much for the full sized Mojo-VS the baby Mojo.

As far as hen-drake. I do not think is makes a difference. But I have the hen--I like to shoot drakes-so I I put the girl out to attract the boys :mrgreen:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.