diver decoy size

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

diver decoy size

Postby kyfowler » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:36 pm

thinking about buying some diver decoys, g&h bluebill but didn't know what size i should get. i already have 9 ringnecks and was looking to add a doz. bills. i could get 1 doz. standards or 1/2 doz. super magnums for the same price. i hunt on the ohio river and you can see two other spreads from our blind. we really only get divers when there are big storms. also any thoughts on other brands too.

thanks
Last edited by kyfowler on Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kyfowler
hunter

Postby firebird » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:51 pm

In my experience, bigger is better. You can get away with less decoys that way as well. I just bought some GHG cans I can't wait to use but while I was comparing prices etc. I was very impressed with the new
Cabela's bluebill dekes. Every company has their own version but for the money G&H or the two I mentioned are all close and based on my experience all worth the money.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby kyfowler » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:01 pm

thanks firebird for the input let me know how those cans workout for you
kyfowler
hunter

Postby texan68 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:33 pm

Bills like numbers, and if you are hunting where divers are numerous, a half doz won't even get their attention. G&H are nice, but expensive. If you're fixed on spending close to $100, go with 2 doz GHG, Carrylite or Flambeau bills.

I think its time for a decoy lesson. From reading posts such as this, I get the idea that most of you think oversized and mag decoys are used so the ducks can see them from greater distances.....not true. If you want ducks to see your spread from a distance, you need numbers. The oversized and mag dekes are used to fool the ducks in thinking they are closer then they really are (because ducks have monocular vision). This will make the duck set its wings sooner, and allowing the hunter not only an easier shot, but more time to take one.
texan68
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum