keeping paint on decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

keeping paint on decoys

Postby kyfowler » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:16 pm

last season i painted some old mallard decoys as bluebills and halfway through the season the paint started to chip. i heard that if you put kilz primer on before you paint that will help. has anyone every done this and what are some other ways to keep the paint on.
kyfowler
hunter

Postby duckdog » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:34 pm

I have the same problem coming up, I'm afraid. I just painted some carrylite's that were losing all there paint. Painted them with spray paint, and they don't look like they are going to hold up. Thought that mabye a water proof sealer or something would help
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:35 pm

preparation is so very important when painting plastics......I have a few plastics I keep handy and they were re-painted quite awhile back and no problems since........I always scrape the old paint off as much as possible with a brass brush, power wash more off, then wash with acetone and flash them with a hand torch.....never handle with bare hands......prime with rustoleum plastic primer.....latex ext paint with some acrylic paint for detail work and small areas
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby texan68 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:44 pm

:withstupid: :withstupid:
texan68
hunter

Postby Cobra » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:23 pm

Preperation is the key but if you are using latex paints then you need to do them early. I've found that the stuff takes a long time to properly cure, usually have any painting done by no later than the end of August for a early October start. Generally get a few seasons out of them that way.
Cobra
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:12 pm

Another problem could just be the *%#$ carry-lites! They have had more problems with paint coming off of them than I can remember.....I bought a package of redheads from a local store and when I pulled the cellophane wrapper off, the paint came off with it! I tried to complain to carry-lite, but they have no website and no contact information was given on the wrapper.......so I don't buy carrylites anymore! :pissed:

I have a pair of mallards that won't hold paint at ALL!!! ....no matter what I try. This year they are going 'bye-bye'; I am setting them free and they can become some other hunters decoy painting nightmare!
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby vitaminE » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:44 pm

I've had good luck with Testors Dull Cote. It's a clear FLAT laquer and one can will cover about a dozen and a half standard decoys. It really seems to help cut down on the paint loss that occures while decoys are knocking around in the bag. I applied mine in three or four light coats.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes1260.htm
vitaminE
Banned

Postby DUKHTR » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:29 pm

Two EXCELLENT points Cobra and E........I certainly meant to mentioin the cure time and thank you for the add-on Cobra! As for the dullcote.....there is a spray I have used from Krylon that will give a sortuv 'flat' sheen to the finish which is a good thing....it is Matte Finish 1311 I think.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum