Duck Hunting Forum banner

Teal Decoy Spreads?

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Abzack 
#1 ·
i plan on going teal hunting this year and i was wandering what kind of spred works for teal...and one got any suggestions?

#4 ·
I picked up a dozen teal dekes at Walley-World for $18. Used those and 6 G&H mallard standard size dekes. Made the two standard groups with landing zone in the middle. Worked like a charm.
:thumbsup:

#5 ·
I've always done the typical J- or U- shaped spread with mallards and then placed 4 teal dekes in a small pod somewhere with them. By adding two more mallards on the outskirts of the landing zone, it creates an appearance that a pair has just landed with the group and is swimming in to join the rest. It has proven to be pretty effective for teal, which in my experience seem to be pretty willing to land in a spread.
Good luck!

#9 ·
waterfowler82 said:
I've always done the typical J- or U- shaped spread with mallards and then placed 4 teal dekes in a small pod somewhere with them. By adding two more mallards on the outskirts of the landing zone, it creates an appearance that a pair has just landed with the group and is swimming in to join the rest
Does that work for wood ducks also?

#10 ·
Hello,
Yesterday i hunted a point where a small creek split off a main creek I set out 2 pintail off the point with 1 hen mallard 3 black ducks. To my left i set 3 drake mallards at random and at the end of that line i set a pair of mallards. At the entrance to the small creek where i set my boat i grouped 3 teal 2 drake 1 hen. Just at shooting time 3 teal ripped in and landed where iset the furthest pair of mallards. I watched them swim around for a minute with no woorys of the decoys. After i watched them abit i yelled at them to flush them and i dropped 1 well before i could get to the bird a snapper turtle surfaced and stole my duck . Yes its true. Well my point is these teal had no problem decoying and chose to sit with a pair of mallards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.