Plastic bottle decoys?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Plastic bottle decoys?

Postby gahunter » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:16 am

Does anybody use just some painted jugs to add a few more "bodies" to your spread? I have read some articles that say just painting up some plastic bottles and mixing them in with regular decoys will make it look like more ducks, but the ducks won't spook from them. Just want to know what y'all think. :umm:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby waterfowler82 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:42 pm

I'm inclined to think that it'd work on ducks that weren't too spooky (like in early season, on private land, in timber, or on real nasty days where they'll stool easier). I've heard from NFWS and DU biologists that the first thing they notice when they are doing duck counts are the black bodies on the water, which could be well represented by 1 liter bottles painted flat black (or 2 liter for magnums! Oh...that seems so redneck...). Speaking of redneck, my boss used to use nothing but black bottles when hunting ducks in flooded timber and used to kill 'em like crazy.

If my .02 mean anything, I say go for it. If ducks seem a bit more leery, than perhaps its not a good idea, but I doubt that they will as long as you do it right by mixing them in with normal dekes.
waterfowler82
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:09 pm

you can use them for divers with good results. slap some black and white paint on them and go for it.

not sure about puddlers, but i'll bet they will work.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:09 pm

it worked in the old days. why not now.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:55 pm

I've got around 5 dozen diver dekes, standard and magnums. I've been saving our two liter coke bottles to add more "bodies" to the spread. I've got about 12 so far. I'm gonna paint them flat black and white and give it a whirle. I'll post later and let everyone know how I did with them.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Duck Whittler » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:01 pm

I have seen them used for years with good results, if you fill them about a third of the way with water they ride the water much better and don't bounce around in the wind.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:29 am

I was going to ask how you would keep them from floating away, but it looks like i already have my answer. I think i may try this as well for fillers in my spread.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby easternshorehunter » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:01 pm

i used 6 last season painted black and white and they worked great. i even had some blue bills and buffleheads land in them while we werent paying attention
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:48 pm

Thanks for the tips. I have a bunch of big medicine bottles from our pharmacy that I think will work great. :thumbsup:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:15 pm

Why not paint your old worn out decoys flat black or buy a dozen of the cheapest decoys you can find?
yellodog1
State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum