Green head gear Mallards

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Green head gear Mallards

Postby Dep666 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:32 am

When the grenhead gear Dekes fisrt came out a couple of years ago. I bought 3 Doz Hotbuys, widgeon, and teal. The paint on the mallards and teal all chipped off in the first season. Man the paint was crap. Did GHG fix their paint problem? Thanks for the input......Matt French
Dep666
hunter

Postby easternshorehunter » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:05 pm

i have a dozen hot buys, a half dozen weigon,4 goose floaters, and soon to get some of the black ducks. so far the paint has held up great, even with very rough handling.
easternshorehunter
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:34 pm

I would say the paint problems are getting better. They still will show little scratches and stuff if you abuse them, but nothing like they used to be. IMO, the paint is getting better. They are still trying to get all the kinks worked out and you have to remember they are still pretty new to the decoy business. I will continue to use them.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby doane25 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:15 pm

they've worked out most of the wrinkles...but still have a long way to go
doane25
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:44 pm

LOL!! these post just make me laugh now.

how much did you pay for your dekes? probably not much...Hotbuys these days are available for about 25 bucks a dozen!! :eek: WHO CARES IF THE PAINT ONLY LASTS A YEAR OR TWO!!! WHAT DID YOU THINK YOU WERE GETTING FOR UNDER 30 BUCKS A DOZEN!!!

sorry for the mini-rant, but c'mon people...you buy a cheap car..you don't expect it to go 200,000 miles without a problem. hamburger doesn't taste as good as a T-bone...10 dollar shoes from payless don't last as long or feel as good as a pair of Nikes...AND EVERYONE ACCEPTS THESE THINGS. so why do you expect an inexpensive decoy to hold up like a more expensive high end deke?

GHG's are probably the best "value" decoy on the market. they look great, come in a large selection of styles, sizes, and species..and you don't need to sell junior's college fund to have 4 dozen to hunt over.

so what if you have to replace them every 2 years or so.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Thank for the replies

Postby Dep666 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:37 pm

Swamp puppy,

I guest this is one of those sites that a guy asks a simple question and gets his balls busted. All I was asking is are the oversized Mallards exhibiting the same paint defect as the Hot buys? I understand that the hot buys are cheapo's and that you get what you pay for. Maybe I didn't elaborate enough in my first post. Thanks for everyone's input.........M. French
Dep666
hunter

GHG HOT BUY

Postby yellodog1 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:33 pm

I ahve used the GHG Hot Buys for 2 seasons, this will be my third. I abuse them and they still seem to hold up. When you buy a dozn. for under $30. who cares how they look a few seasons away. You have guys on this forum that are painting milk jugs and 2 liter bottles black. If your $30. decoys have a few scratches, I am willing to bet if you have 2 0r 3 dozen out, they will look better than the plastic painted bottles. I am not saying the plastic bottles wont work, ( frankly I have never tried it) but I would rather have the greenhead gear hotbuys out there.
I have 6 LL Bean cork decoys that my father bought in '84, those still look great but they are heavy and also not easy on the wallet. There is a reason that we only have a few of them.
Also some of the new decoys out there look terrible, and the GHG's have a good color scheme and detail for a good price.
yellodog1
State Moderator

Re: Thank for the replies

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:36 am

Matt French wrote:Swamp puppy,

I guest this is one of those sites that a guy asks a simple question and gets his balls busted. All I was asking is are the oversized Mallards exhibiting the same paint defect as the Hot buys? I understand that the hot buys are cheapo's and that you get what you pay for. Maybe I didn't elaborate enough in my first post. Thanks for everyone's input.........M. French

Matt,

nah...wasn't trying to bust your balls. sorry about that. Yes, they have made great improvements in their paint, but they are still an inexpensive alternative to a high end deke. so, good looks..good price, but don't expect them to last a lifetime. (unless you take ALOT better care of your dekes than i take care of mine.) :thumbsup:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Re: Thank for the replies

Postby QuackWacker08 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:16 am

Matt French wrote:Swamp puppy,

That was uncalled for. Swamp is right, its just so many have asked this question, and it gets annoying after a while. Kinda like the best duck call threads. They just get old. You cant expect great value for $30. Thats just how it is.
QuackWacker08
hunter

GHG

Postby Dep666 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:25 am

I am not a real hard core puddle duck hunter. However I do hunt Divers everyday in the late season. My dekes take a pounding every late season. ( NY its usually Dec26th to Jan 7). I hunt the upper Niagara river and getting to the spots is usually a pain. As all you guys know you need a lot of diver blocks to be sucessful.This year I'm making my own Bluebills and Cans. The Dekes are about 3 inches bigger than the GH super mags, and the bodies are a lot tougher than the regualr herters.
My point is , I didn't want to invest in the OVERSIZED ghg mallards if they exhibit the same problem the cheapo's do. The oversized mallards are kind of pricey and I really don't puddle duck that much. I"m not a rookie to duckhunting , and I have my share of dekes(about 300 now). Just wanted a little opinion on the oversized GHG. Thanks to all who responded.
Dep666
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum