Decoy tricks?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Decoy tricks?

Postby Remington1187 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:07 pm

Just wondering if any of you guys are willing to share and tricks u have for decoyin. I know the one where you put the line of the decoy through the handle of a milk gallon, filled with sand, so when u pull the string, the head goes underwater like its feeding. Now its ur turn! Anyone is :welcome: to reply!
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:57 pm

I have sever tricks, Many of which While hunting in fields I Paint up some decoys solid black with like brown head and throw them in spread about 3 per DZ good rule. Ducks can see them a lot better and seem to respond very well. For the next one you might think I’m stupid, crazy or whatever but it works correction in late season it works. Since we use spinning wing decoys any-more here in Arkansas ill go ahead and tell you my secret that I have been using for about 4 years now and it produces day after day. Only my close hunting buddies have been informed about this. Now what I do is get about 25Ft of rope that match’s the trees and water ( Hunting in flooded timber) And I get my robo/ mojo / lucky duck out and hag it by its neck in the tree about 8ft above the water. Get it out on a limb so it does not hit the tree with the wings but it will spin around and around. It drives the green heads crazy. Sounds stupid but it just works

As I forgot to add I hunt timber a lot so I got me about 4 of those decoys that have feet used for dry ground hunting and stand them up on logs and stumps, it also works as I can tell. Makes ducks wanting to land think its safe spot to hang out. .. But boy were they wrong.
Late season
Timber Hunting
10-35 degrees
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum