Duck Hunting Forum banner

foamer process 201

40K views 74 replies 33 participants last post by  Slack Tide 
#1 ·
#8 ·
Woodduck,impressd with your thread here. want to step up my game on my next batch of foamers through the off season. Is all your carving done with a dremel tool. I've always used the rasp. How mant slots do you cut in a decoy to tuck the burlap and where. Have definitely seen some ways to improve on what I'm doing.
THANKS

#9 ·
How about that golden eye doing the old rescue side stroke! I like it... thats totally creative and he looks fantastic. Almost like a sea otter that just got him a nice big clam.

I started doing my own foamers this morning. Must be that the season is out here now. Got a couple big ducks, couple marsh ducks, three teal and half a swan cut out of the foam already. I'm looking forward to working on them... ought to be a real crap shoot!

Thanks for the detailed thread wood duck!

#11 ·
woodduck exactly what is that acrylic expoxy you are using around the eyes and bill? Manufacture wise?

Where did you purchase it? I checked at the Home Despot [sic] this evening and found plenty of bondo and junk like that.. but its set up time is awfully short at about 3-5 minutes.

#14 ·
Awesome. Got some ordered and book marked the page. Looks like a good way to fix up some of the frost bitten, broken and shot all the hell plastic blocks I have piled like cord wood in the garage too.

Thanks again.

#16 ·
Hi woodduck,

Great thread and lots of good advice and pictures to follow along. I am getting ready to put the second coat of mastic onto my eiders and I am going to try using a damp brush to finish this final application. It looks like this will allow the burlap texture to show though. On my previous decoys I just used a rubber glove and smeared it on, and unfortunately this resulted in too much coverage in certain areas.

Thanks !

#17 ·
That may be the first time I've really looked at a foamer being done. I really didn't realize there was that much that went into one. Very interesting. :thumbsup:

#21 ·
The cost in materials is minimal, maybe $1 for foam, 50 cents for burlap another $1 in tile adhesive, a quarter for keel material, paint and such maybe another quarter. I'm sure they are well under $5 for materials.

I get my eyes from Vandykes and since my wife is employed by Cabelas and they own vandykes I get a 25% discount on everything there, so my eyes usually run about 83 cents a pair, $1.20 if you pay regular price.

The nice thing about foamers is you can get most things locally at home depot and a craft store.

#23 ·
I see the appeal now that you are talking material costs. I'd say material cost on a standard size cork bird with a tupalo head, glass eyes, etc. would be about 2 1/2 times that figure.....possibly 3 with the price of cork increasing everytime you turn around.

#25 ·
Holy foamers! I had no idea that a foamer could look that good. When I started making mine, I was told by some other guys to take off all the detailed feather groups and get a round shape. Said I'd never get the burlap to work right with all the detail. I guess they were wrong. I'm also primarily making them to beef up the spread, block fillers, not mantle pieces. When I finish the ones I've already dulled down, I definitely want to try making some with your process. Absolutely beautiful!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.