Mallard Silouettes

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Mallard Silouettes

Postby Mike Rossi » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:42 pm

With all the attention to detail we pay, it just doesnt sit right to accept the way certain commercially produced mallard silouettes have stakes that stick out like a sore thumb. I also think silouettes should be super magnum sized and sit high. Also, the legs and feet and stake visual appearance seems to leave room for improvment. Can anyone recomend a mallard silouette and info on who sells them? Any additional comments on silouttes for feild hunting mallards is also appreciated.
Mike Rossi
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:51 pm

I can assure you, the ducks don't care about the stakes.
texan68
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:05 pm

But the farmer does if it gets caught in their equipment.
Cobra
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:58 pm

Cobra wrote:But the farmer does if it gets caught in their equipment.

Very good point indeed...
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:05 pm

well......pick em up.
texan68
hunter

O.K.

Postby Mike Rossi » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:08 am

So be anal about everything else, but not the stakes (and legs & feet I also assume). For decades I never was as particular as other waterfowlers, but have decided waterfowling will now be my top activity, so I am now more detailed about it. Otherwise is there any recommended sources of mallard silouettes, either commercially made or home made, new or used?
About the farmers, agree, hunters and trappers must not cause them troubles. More of that should be stressed in hunter ed particularly for the city people who are unaware of the "bussiness" of agriculture. I think if a little time was given to show the landowners perspective there would be less problems. While you got me going, its the anglers who need to clean up thier act, much more than the hunter, trapper, and dogmen. They litter, both deliberatly and also by not collecting used mono etc. they tresspass much more freq. And I estimate more than 50% of anglers dont buy licenses. In contrast hunters & trappers rarely are unlicensed. I have lived in several states, and have found this the case everywhere, except perhaps in South Dakota, were most people who fish also hunt (and farm as well) Anyway, what about the decoy inquiry?
Mike Rossi
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:23 am

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Where are the entrupenuers?

Postby Mike Rossi » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:38 am

Well, if not too many Mallard Sioloueetes are on the market, and those that are available, can be improved, sounds like the making of a great opportunity for all you entupenuers. In the meantime, can anyone refer me to stores, mail orders, manufactures, or individuals which got these decoys available?
Mike Rossi
hunter

Postby Duck Whittler » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:55 pm

Try Cabelas or Basspro , Gander mountain. One of the big hunting supply places should carry them.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby T-MAN » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:13 pm

Duck Whittler- I am a beginning carver. If you want to exchang pics or something, and tell me how i did for a 13 year old.
T-MAN
hunter

Mallard Silloutes

Postby Dep666 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:37 pm

The other day I hunted over the bigger Outlaw Mallards. Man those things are nice. Not sure about the cost, but if you do alot of field hunting, it might be worth it.
Dep666
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum