Keep em seperated???

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Keep em seperated???

Postby duckdog » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:28 pm

I recently just painted a dozen old Carry Lite's to look like bluebill's, I will be using these with two dozen mallard decoy's. How do you guy's set out your different decoy's. Do you put them together, or keep them seperated? I also have a half dozen goose floater's I put out on the edge sometime's
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:53 pm

well if you are hunting for shore deeper water i would put them in a 6 or a j with the bottom of the j towards you. assuming your wind is off your back you set the bottom of the j with you mallard which again is the shallower side of the spread. and for the bills i wouldn't set them like a line out from the mallards but make a string going of to you left or right making the top of you j and for the honkers i would leave a gap and put them in front of the mallrds to the right off the shore a little bit. hope thats some help pm me if you need anything else
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:24 am

I would try em seperated at first...kinda bunch up the divers in one pod...loosely bunch up the mallards with a little more space between em in another pod...kill zone in the empty space between the two pods. If you find they wont commit, or prefer to land outa range, be prepared to make adjustments. Maybe just one large group with your divers mixed in might be the way ta go. In your area, I bet a small family pod of honkers would work nicely as well. Let us know what ya find out :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum