Blue + Green Winged teal

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Blue + Green Winged teal

Postby Musselman » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:23 pm

I hunt the west side of michigan and shoot a fair amount of teal. I want to buy teal decoys and i am wondering if i shoudl get some blue and green winged teal decoys of if a dozen blue wings will work for both.. What is your opinion?
Musselman
hunter

Postby ND_Duckslayer » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:41 pm

My opinion with teal is that they come into anything. I always add at least a half dozen hen blue wing to my spread for added realism, but I've shot just as many teal with no teal decoys as I have with them. If you're wondering wether to stick to one type or another I honestly don't think it matters. When I've been scouting I almost always see the two mixed together.

Just my 0.02 :thumbsup:
"If it flies, it dies...and if it just sits there and doesn't move, IT STILL DIES!!!"
-Phil Robertson, a.k.a. the Duck Commander
ND_Duckslayer
hunter

Postby texan68 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:37 pm

I agree, but I think the maroon heads of the drake greenwings stand out more.
texan68
hunter

Teal Decoys

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:04 pm

I bought Greenwings, cause we tend to have a few of them still around even when it gets cold. I have shot teal with just a mallard hen decoy out. They will decoy just as well to big ducks as they will for teal decoys IMO.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ND_Duckslayer » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:54 pm

I agree that the drakes stand out well...but in the early season up here they all look like hens, so that's all I use until the northern birds get pushed down. When they do come than yeah, I use the drakes and the hens.
"If it flies, it dies...and if it just sits there and doesn't move, IT STILL DIES!!!"
-Phil Robertson, a.k.a. the Duck Commander
ND_Duckslayer
hunter

Flip a coin,.....

Postby Poke Boater » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:18 am

Musselman,

Either will do fine. Size matters more than anything. Small dekes will attract small ducks.

Mallards too, and with out any hesitation a dozen or so landed right in the middle of my 12 GWT once. I've been aiming to try that again. Two dozen teal decoys wouldn't weigh alot, and might just get you a limit of larger ducks.

:thumbsup:
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum