Dirty dekes cleaned dirt cheap !

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Dirty dekes cleaned dirt cheap !

Postby Poke Boater » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:18 am

AC-DC's hit song Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap gets the credit for the topics wording. Most feather detail decoys when used in muddy water will need cleaned once in a while to bring out the colors. The muddy water leaves an accumulated film on them after use. They all look better when it's raining. Don't you all agree?

You can use soap and water to brighten the colors and remove the film in the feather details. But who's ever done that? Some of us hose them off at the end of the season.

To give them a cheap cleaning, and a wet look that will last a long time use tire cleaner foam. The big spray cans of foam are cheap to buy. Pick out a few dull colored ones that you think have needed repainted for years, and try it. :salude:

My dozen Green Winged Teal once looked pretty rough in the sunlight. After the foam cleaning and resulting wet look I was surprised at the difference. Waterfowlers get serious when it comes to decoy colors. October's issue of Field & Stream has a good article on refurbing dekes; Sportsman's Notebook on page 39. :help:

Let me know what you all think after giving your decoys a shot,....of tire cleaner foam. :smile:
Last edited by Poke Boater on Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:10 pm

I think it is a great idea I myself have never tried it but I have heard of it befor and I think I will try it this season :smile:
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Reply to Duckhunter16

Postby Poke Boater » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:17 am

Hello,

I've noticed your cool avatar many times. :cool: Maybe you saw an edited version of the original sent to Ducks Unlimited magazine in September of 99 and used as a tip in the Mixed Bag section in Sept/Oct issue in 2000.

I always wanted to send in something to the magazine. To my surprise they used it. The hat sent 6 months before was proof that it was accepted.

Thanks for your note Kansan :thumbsup:
Last edited by Poke Boater on Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:48 pm

Hey,
Thanks, you know I think that is where I saw it
well hey I have to go so talk to you later,
shane
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16