Burlapping troubles

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Burlapping troubles

Postby waterfowler82 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:46 pm

I've started my very first foamer project (following the sticky above) and have so far been very pleased with how things have gone, with one exception; I'm not impressed with the "shell" that the burlap/mastic combination is providing. It seems awfully maliable (even after curing for a couple days) and I worry that the pliability will cause me trouble with longevity, paint adhesion, etc. Has anyone else had this experience? Have you found any fixes for the problem?

One thing I just thought of- I did use fabric burlap, not landscaping burlap as the sticky recommends, is it possible that that is the cause of my seemingly weak shell?

Thanks for all of your help guys,
Justen
waterfowler82
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:13 am

I just went through and read the thread you are talking about....I've made foam decoys in a similar fashion over the last several years, but instead of the mastic compound the writer is talking about in the thread, I use a product called "Kool-seal"...it is used to seal the roofs of mobile homes and such. You can find it at any large home supply store, and runs around (I think) $14/gallon. It is water based clean up as well. I simply brush kool-seal on the foam, put the burlap (or whatever) on the foam, then paint another coat over top. I like to 'double wrap' my decoys (to 'coats' of fabric).
Instead of using burlap, I use old surgical sponges that aren't used, but have to be discarded....they have a loose weave, but are tighter than the burlap shown in the pictures in the thread. I have also used old bedsheets in pinch, so I think it would work for your burlap as well.
Hope this helps you..................
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:15 am

...one other thing, with re: to the pliability...I have some give with the process I use, and it doesn't affect the paint, longevity, ect. I would imagine that the mastic would be of similar charateristics.
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:13 am

Good ideas 16.....I might have to give that Kool stuff a try!!! Thanks.

As far as being 'soft'.....you may have put on too heavy a coating? I like to keep the mastic as thin as possible on the first coating......and I try to 'squeegie' as much as possible with my hands.

I have tried different weaves of burlap......and I like the looser weave of the landscaping burlap best....my opinion!....for a couple reasons, 1) it is more pliable and easy to work with; and 2) it provides alot more texture. It also seems to end up holding the paints best and maintains a durable finish.

I tried other fabrics as well, including the stuff you line kitchen drawers with, gauze type fabric and even cotton duck. I was trying to get a very fine finish of texture so that I could employ alot of detail without having too smooth on the mastic three or four thin coats or a couple thick coats.

Humidity and temp are significant factors in the curing of the mastic. Over the summer I have them soft and 'sticky' for alot of days....but in the winter I have them hard as rock in 24 hours.

Keep trying!!!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowler82 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:13 am

Thanks so much for your feedback, guys. I am really, really enjoying this project. I'll give that Kool stuff a try too, especially since I ran out of mastic last night. I'll keep you in touch and let you gents know how its going.

Hmmm, one more question for you. Since I am doing coots I am just going to spray them ultra-flat black Krylon, do you think that I should prime them first to improve adhesion? I think I will, but wanted to make sure that it won't induce any weird properties in the mastic.

Thanks again!
Justen
waterfowler82
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:26 pm

With the Krylon spray, you really don't have to prime or seal with Kilz....but it certainly wouldn't hurt! When spraying, the lighter coats as possible will bring out the best flat finish.

One last comment....not sure if I recall how many you had done with the mastic........but if this means anything toya.........I get at least 15 decoys from one gallon af Acrylpro........two layers per decoy (although the second layer is very light).
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:18 pm

One last comment....not sure if I recall how many you had done with the mastic........but if this means anything toya.........I get at least 15 decoys from one gallon af Acrylpro........two layers per decoy (although the second layer is very light).

Just for comparison, I've done 7 large geese (Canadas), two teal, and 10 mallard sized ducks, using two coats as well with one gallon of the Kool-Seal.

As far as painting goes, I think it depends on the weave, but I find it usually takes 3 or 4 coats of spray paint to fully cover all the white holes if using the Kool-Seal (the stuff dries white). Could just be the gauze that I am using and the smaller pores. BTW: I don't use any type of primer.
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby waterfowler82 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:25 pm

I bought two of the small (pint size?) containers of Acrylpro and have completed 2 ducks with 2 coats and done the bottom half on three others. I picked up a gallon of the Kool-Seal stuff (its not actually Kool-Seal brand, but appears to be the same thing). I haven't been able to find landscaping burlap anywhere, so I guess I'll stick with the fabric stuff until I can find an alternative that works well. I initially primed with the Krylon primer, but felt it was unnecessary even as I was doing it.
waterfowler82
hunter

burlap

Postby bluebilldays » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:38 pm

To find some burlap that has an open weave, look on the internet for you local textile company. Most have any type of burlap imaginable. You will thank the stars working with an open weave. That fabric burlap is really hard to work with and much less durable because you won't get the mastic between the weaves. Good LUCK
bluebilldays
hunter

Postby waterfowler82 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:23 pm

Cool, thanks for the tip. I don't know that there is a textile anywhere near Alamo-ghetto, NM, but I'll take a look. One thing that I've noticed so far is that the paint seems to come off of the dekes pretty readily. My theory is that it is coming off because a very fine chunk of mastic is chipping off and taking the paint with it. I think that I had to lay on more mastic with the fabric burlap to compensate for the lack of penetration due to the tighter weave.
waterfowler82
hunter

Postby Blaster » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:51 am

Anyone have any pictures of homemade decoys? I'm interested to see what everyone has.
Blaster
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum