Does it help?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Does it help?

Postby TXwaterfowler » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:04 pm

Just wondering using Pintail decoys in a spread of Mallards,Bluebills, and Wood Ducks. Would give other flying ducks that are making those passes around the deeks. Give them more confidence to hit? If so how many would I need to put out in them. Much help would be obliged!!! :thumpsup:
TXwaterfowler
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:25 pm

Dont know that it gives them more confidence, but it sure cant hurt anything we very seldom see pintails except when we hunt the eastern side of the state and we always put 4 pintails out and doesnt hurt but dont know that it helps.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Cobra » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:46 pm

38 years of duck hunting and have never shot a Pintail, only seen 3 locally, but use them in my rig from time to time. Just try to show the birds something different, yet the migrants that come thru probably are somewhat accustomed to seeing them in their travels. A little white doesn't hurt either for long range visibility. They work.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:46 pm

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:04 pm

i like to use a couple of pinnys in the spread mainly for one reason. the white paint on the dekes really stands out and helps grab the birds attention.

you can see a spread with pinny dekes in it from alot farther away than you can a spread with a bunch of gray and brown dekes in it.

just MHO.

-Ed
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:09 am

I agree with Swamp Puppy.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:23 am

I like using them like the other guys said for visibility, and because I have I only use a few drake pinnies and have watched pintails lock up and land right next to them, I think they are one of a few birds who likes to hang out with their species a little
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby Cobra » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:31 pm

I agree, by no means did I intend to infer that ducks equate Pintails with safety. :thumbsup: Primarily it's the visibility factor but just as important in my area is showing them something different as compared to the numerous generic rigs used by others. :salude:
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby poacher » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:06 am

Lots of talk about the visibility factor....have you guys flown over the marsh and looked at decoy spreads with your duck glasses and seen the spread from a few hundred yards? NO, but seriously, if you add different dekes, like woodies or pins, you better be prepared to give them vocals also.
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:09 am

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby TXwaterfowler » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:16 pm

Well hey guys that sounds good I just get a dozen and put them out there just for more attraction. Thanks for the input.
TXwaterfowler
hunter

Postby Spencer5100 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:22 pm

no, but theyre incredibly visible which always helps.buy a six pack of G & H drakes, theyre covered with black and white
Spencer5100
hunter

Does it help

Postby MicroMike » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:53 am

I don't agree that you have to be prepard to make calls for every type of decoy you use in your spread.

I rarely call, except to get a passing flock's attention. I only use a mallard and a teal/Pintail call. Hearing sounds might be comforting, but we've had ducks land in the spread and swim around with the decoys. They were hardly concerned that the other ducks were silent and made of plastic.

On that note, we've also had them almost land, and think better of it.
MicroMike
hunter

Postby Dalros » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:41 pm

I agree with Micro Mike.

I normally have at least 3 different species in my set, of course it does depend on where I'm hunting. If I'm on the river generally only mallards or maybe a few woodies if I'm on a slough, but in the marsh I'm definitely mixing species. I've been known to use mallards, teal, pintails, gadwalls, widgeon and a few divers in 1 combo or another.

Now as for calling...hails in the distance...maybe,also I'll call on the corners as long as the other guys next to me are not callin and very very rarely a feed chuckle if they appear to be responsive and need extra coaxing, but I rarely feel the need.

When I'm out in the refuge and I'm watchin and callin to the ducks; the only calls that really carry any distance what-so-ever are the mallards. In my viewing experience I see all kinds of ducks come into range of other species wether they arre calling or not. In short, I think the idea of having to do a bunch of calling and learning all the other calls is needless.
Sure thing Hun, I'll get right on that...right after hunting season!
Dalros
hunter

Postby Spencer5100 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:01 pm

they are wary and covered in black and white. If you see them where you hunt, chuck em out, because theyre a natural confidence decoy and add some visibility at the same time.
Spencer5100
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:38 am

Don't make the mistake thinking that live ducks can't reconize their own species when they see them on the water. I am very fortunate to do most of my hunting on Long Point Bay part of Lake Erie. We get every species of North American ducks that God has created for us. In my spread there are Mallards, Blacks, Baldy's, Pintail, Gadwell,and GWT. Almost every time they try to land with their own kind. Most puddle ducks will respond to good mallard calling. But way too many times a good wistle will turn a flock of Baldy's that were other wise going to head out. Same for Pintails.I put out 8 gwt decoys in my spread, I dont realy care if I shoot gwt, but they are so common here that most big flocks of birds will have teal in them. I just want my spread to look natural. If you have different species in your area then add them to your spread. I personally don't like the idea of scaup in with my mallards, they don't normally hang out in the same areas but ring necks would be ok.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum