Spread Help

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Spread Help

Postby Musselman » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:06 pm

Hey guys,
i have been a serious hunter for about 3 years now and i am always changing my spread such as positioning adding new deks and adding more or less. Let me know what some of you guys generaly use in a marsh situation
Musselman
hunter

Decoys

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:06 pm

Try to use one dozen decoys per hunter. Prefer G&H, but am gonna use some Cabelas Real Image this year. Also usually use 2 goose feeder butts (they stand out like you wouldn't believe) and 3-4 goose floaters.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:06 am

I use 9dz Smag puddlers + 9 BF Honkers as a rule of thumb when puddle duck hunting on big marshes. And that is for 1 hunter. :mrgreen:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby texan68 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:55 pm

I use a doz. mallards, a couple of woodies, and a few honkers. More is not always better.
texan68
hunter

Postby Cobra » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:01 pm

Depends on whats going on, like to mimic what they're doing. Scout your area as much as possible.
Cobra
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:12 pm

I would do alot of scouting and see what the ducks are doing. It depends on the size of the hole too when it comes to decoy numbers. You always want it to look natural. Sometimes bigger isn't always best. If you always see a ton of ducks there then I would probly use alot of decoys but if you have been seein a smll group of about 15 to 30, I would only use about a dozen. On one of my holes it's about 4 acres and I have never seen more than about 30 or 40 mallards on it at one time so I don't use a lot of decoys and I always pick them up when I'm done. Last year Me and some of my friends used only 9 decoys a few days and killed our limit every time. If the wind is right always try to make it where they have to fly in with the sun in their face so it is harder for them to see you. There's my 2 cents. :salude:
quackkiller
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum