Hunting Thursday and Can't wait

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Hunting Thursday and Can't wait

Postby Doc H » Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:34 am

Hey guys, any Alabama Duck hunters out there. I'm going Thursday morning and can't wait. It's a small 50 x 50 yard "hole" knee deep surrounded by some kind of leafless head high bush. It's in the middle of a hundred acre planted pine plantation. And the beauty of all of it is, is that it is situated in the middle of a penensula in the bend of the Logan Martin Lake/River. We jumped 30 wood ducks and 2 Mallards Sunday when we went in to check out the water level. This will be the first time I have ever hunted this spot. Did I mention I can't wait......I'll update after my hunt - C-ya

Doc
Doc H
Newb

Postby AU Mallard » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:03 am

.....and the death toll was?
I just returned from a decent trip to NE Ark.
VERY dry there!
AU Mallard
hunter

Postby Doc H » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:14 am

Haven't been yet, i'll let you know Thursday night or Friday. Two more days too wait. Do you have a lease in Arkansas or were you hunting with an outfitter? Did you have any luck when you went up?

Doc
Doc H
Newb

Postby AU Mallard » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:51 am

It was a "buddy hunt".
In my more carefree days, I guided for Mallardmasters. Have been friends with the owner for about 20 years.
We shot 55 in 3 mornings with 30 mallards (one of them banded), but tthe hunting was slow by this spots standards. The current drought in his county is the worst they've seen in 75 years. Having to pump the fields with well water and the bordering refuge and Cache river have little more than puddles in them.
Still, good friends and more than enough action to keep things interesting for this old guy.
AU Mallard
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting