New to Duck hunting

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

New to Duck hunting

Postby gadwall24 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:49 am

well this is my 1st year to try out duck hunting and love it! i go with a couple of friends who are also new to the sport, except one of them, and he has been doing it for several years now. we've killed LOTS of gadwalls, and then a few widgeons, and two woodies last week. we need to find some new places :mrgreen:
gadwall24
Newb

Postby AU Mallard » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:18 am

"we've killed LOTS of gadwalls, and then a few widgeons"

Join the crowd. Granted, I'm on private property and not hunting the lake, but they along with GW teal have accounted for the vast majority of our kill as well.

It'll be later in Jan. for whatever mallard push we might get this season. Seems like it always is, regardless of the weather. Just some years it bigger than others.
AU Mallard
hunter

New to duck hunting.

Postby Wet One » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:34 pm

I am new to this. It will be my first year to duck hunt, coming up. I would be greatful if somebody would give me some tips on what calls, decoys, ect that I might need.
Wet One
Newb

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:15 am

Man are you about to be pord in with threads, as far as decoys look around and get one that doesn't chip the paint off just by takin them out of the box. Calls, man thats seems to be pretty much personal opinion, I like all of primos's calls, duck commands are good, and RNT's are good, just get a single reed and a double reed that way ur coverd for timber and open water, duk huntin can be as expensive as you want it to be, take it easy until you get some duks under ur belt and some bird knowledge. Search this whole site cus there is TONS of good info. HAPPY HUNTIN :thumbsup:
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AU Mallard » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:36 pm

Goodness knows I would like to be carrying a gun tomorrow!

Figures we get this weather pattern 2 weeks after the close.

ditto on the dekes, calls etc.

Many different opinions and favorites. Just pay attention and make up your own mind.

A little different on the call. Find someone good (note: most think they are good, few are)and/or go out and purchase a instruction video. Spend the extra $'s to buy a good quality call.
You can't learn to play like Mozart on a toy piano.
AU Mallard
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:48 pm

Speakin of instruction videos primos make an awsome video, its a duck/geese instructional video. Its call "Masterin the Art", when i bought it it only had the Honky Tonk with it, i went to sportsman warehouse and saw it ALSO had the wench with it so that a awsome deal. Git it while its hot!!!! :thumbsup:
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AU Mallard » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:39 pm

New Market is in my backyard.
I live on the state line near Scott's Orchard.
AU Mallard
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting