Moving to Bama

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Moving to Bama

Postby flightdoc84 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:30 pm

Hey guys I am moving from Kansas to the Fort Rucker area for flight school. I would really like to know about the duck situation down there. I can guess you guys get plenty of divers being so close to the coast. I have a nice duck boat and all just wondering if there is anyone on Rucker who hunts as well. I got a whole bunch of deeks but my setup is for dabblers and the field. Any help or feedback would be much appreciated. I would also like to know about mudbuddy service down there.

V/R
Charles
Charles Galloway
Only number that matters is lives saved
DUSTOFF!!
flightdoc84
hunter

Re: Moving to Bama

Postby jaker » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:24 am

sorry to tell u this, but hunting is awful here, especially compared to kansas. I drive from here to hunt public land in kansas every year if that tells you anything. On a different note, being in fort rucker you don't have any decent hunting real close, you have wood ducks and thats about it, at the corner of florida, ga, and alabama, there is a lake called seminole, its about an hour and a half from you, if you go there, scout hard, and catch the birds right, you can kill a few divers, to the south you have numerous bays in florida, panama city, apalachicola, etc. you can kill some divers down there ( probably your best bet), to the west, you have mobile bay, there are birds, but its a huge area, you can't roll up with a boat and figure out how to kill em, you would have to put huge ammounts of time into scouting, mobile bay consists of a mix of divers, gadwall, woodies, and some teal. I'm gonna be honest man, there is a reason that I can go to kansas and kill a limit of birds, even when the locals are not. Its cuz the hunting down here is ten times harder than out west. We just don't have a percentage of the birds that yall do, and we have just as many if not more hunters all crammed into a few areas. My group typically hunts six days a week, and between 5 of us, we killed just over 400 birds this year. only about 250 of those were in alabama, we kill about as many as anybody, its just real hard to kill more, theres a few select people that I know of who kill as many as we do, a few more that kill more than us, but your not gonna be finding any groups of people killing a thousand birds a year, which is a fairly typical number in arkansas or kansas.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby fallingducks » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:40 am

its actually not that bad of a hunting area as long as you know were to go. we don't have a large variety of ducks but if you can find a good place you will usually have a pretty good hunt :lol:
fallingducks
hunter

Postby wingset » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:51 am

Charles,

Check your PM's

Ken
wingset
hunter

Postby TROYWATERFOWLER » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:55 pm

I also live here in Enterprise, right off of Rucker BLVD actually, so you probably pass right by me everyday. If you ever want to meet up or something, just pm me your number and we can figure something out.
TROYWATERFOWLER
hunter

Postby flightdoc84 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:30 pm

Just checking back in. Still looking for a hunting partner and a spot to go. I got the boat down here as well as all my deeks and stuff. If you live in the wirgrass area and want a good hunting partner let me know. Charles 785-320-1178
Charles Galloway
DUSTOFF!!
flightdoc84
hunter

Postby Labnerd01 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:04 pm

I sent you a PM about the Redstone Arsenal area. PM me and if I can be of assistance I am glad to help you on areas to duck hunt.
Going Hunting without a trained retriever is like going on a honeymoon without a bride!
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby flightdoc84 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:12 pm

A big thanks goes out to Labnerd. An absolute professional thanks for all the info.
Charles Galloway
DUSTOFF!!
flightdoc84
hunter

Postby Labnerd01 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:56 pm

The Pleasure is mine, I am always willing to give a member of our Military Service a leg up.
Going Hunting without a trained retriever is like going on a honeymoon without a bride!
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby Labnerd01 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:05 pm

As for Mud Motor service, not sure whats around Enterprise or Dothan but if you make it up to hunt the Lake Guntersville WMA's there is a Boat Dealer who does good work on Mud Motors right next to the boat ramp and resturant at the primary boat launch ramp into the Mud Creek WMA. Can't remember his name right off hand but if memory serves me, I think he is a Yamaha certified and Merc dealer as well. If you are trying to look him up probably located in Hollywood, Al.
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby jaker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:37 am

Labnerd01 wrote:I sent you a PM about the Redstone Arsenal area. PM me and if I can be of assistance I am glad to help you on areas to duck hunt.

drivin to redstone from ft. rucker would be a waste of time imo, its what a 5hr drive to gville from dothan, maybe a little longer? drive 5 hours from ft. rucker due west and a little north and you can be hunting some prime public land in mississippi or louisiana....just my .02
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby Labnerd01 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:33 am

He is right. Not worth the drive of 5 hours except that you might make an exploratory trip to the Redstone Arsenal Land since you are active military but 5 hours is "Out of Range" for the quality found in most areas. Lake Seminole is 80 miles from FT Rucker, would be a spot to try out but it is also loaded with hunters and smart ducks and lots of folks, use Coot decoys in their decoy spreads same as Guntersville. There are also Lakes and ponds all around it that I am told hold lots of ducks as well as lots of Gators.
Labnerd01
hunter

Postby TROYWATERFOWLER » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:12 pm

Hey Charles. Just saw where you pm'd me and I will give you a call tomorrow and we can figure something out. Thanks.
TROYWATERFOWLER
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting