# of Decoys

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

# of Decoys

Postby Lookin4woodiE » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:20 pm

I live in the back woods close to Mobile Alabama. I am just now getting into the duck hunting scene. My buddies that duck hunt around here say they only use six or so decoys at a time. Im assuming its because they only hunt in places that are limited in how many you can put out. Also, they are you sort of part time hunters and Im wanting to go all out. Learn all I can and buy the most and best of what I need. I am confused about how many decoys I should buy starting out and the BEST brand. ??????
Lookin4woodiE
Newb

Re: # of Decoys

Postby David » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:34 am

What are you planning on hunting? That will determine a lot.

Wood ducks in the upper delta, 6-12 will be fine. Get to the right spot and no decoys are needed.

For gray ducks and divers in the lower delta, anywhere from a dozen to 200, depending on which body of water and time of year.

Brand- GHG have the best looking gray ducks, but they are not the best decoy. Everyone's opinion will vary on what blocks to put out. I have a dozen hand carved redheads that look awesome on the water, but I would hate to buy 200 hand carved decoys. Weight and cost would make it unpractical.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Lookin4woodiE » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Where would I look to find hand carved decoys? I'm assuming that's the best type decoys you can buy. An I believe I'm going to br hunting mainliy mallards and wood ducks this year
Lookin4woodiE
Newb

Postby David » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:42 am

It's been so long, I don't remember who did mine. Do a search for gunning wooden decoys and you'll come up with a bunch of results. Ebay has a bunch as well. For some really nice looking decoys you can go with E Allen ones that are already painted. Be aware these custom decoys will cost you anywhere from $50 to $100s each decoy. Personally I would never spend that kind of money on wood duck decoys. Buy a dozen plastics and be done, unless you just want some really nice looking decoys. Mallards can be pickier down here. The main thing I like about wooden or cork decoys is how they ride in rougher water, which is not usually a factor hunting creeks.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Lookin4woodiE » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:58 pm

I was looking at shotguns yesterday. What's your opinion on the Benelli Nova vs Mossburg 835. Also liked the stoger 3500
Lookin4woodiE
Newb

Postby HOPIN4ABOAT » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Of the first two I would say the nova by far, I couldn't tell about the M3500 yet mine has been on order for 3 months unfortionately. I'll let yah know when I get it in and run it for a while
Montanafowler wrote:check the jiblets real good, nothing scarier than seeing a bug biting your balls :lol3:
HOPIN4ABOAT
hunter

Postby j4038 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:06 am

Good luck on being new to duck hunting in south alabama. The people who hunt public land down here will make you hate the sport. I had been in a blind that I built for about an hour when two guys showed up in the small bay I was hunting and said it was their spot and told me to leave. I refused and they put out dekes beside mine and pulled into a make shift blind about 50 yards from me. The guys down here think they own this public land. You may have a little better luck during the week, but on the weekend expect to have a boat trying to tie up to you. Good luck.
j4038
hunter

Postby LouisianaFowler » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:50 pm

Lookin4woodiE wrote:I was looking at shotguns yesterday. What's your opinion on the Benelli Nova vs Mossburg 835. Also liked the stoger 3500

the 835 will pattern better and better built, than the Nova. My wife has a Super Nova 12g and they remind me of a plastic toy, she likes it though. I Shoot Brownings, and 9 times out of 10 ill have my BPS wtrfowl 3 1/2 with me at all times. IMPO the BPS is the most solid pump ever built. I expect to get some feedback off of this.
I like duck hunting...
LouisianaFowler
hunter

Postby jaker » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:36 pm

LouisianaFowler wrote:
Lookin4woodiE wrote:I was looking at shotguns yesterday. What's your opinion on the Benelli Nova vs Mossburg 835. Also liked the stoger 3500

the 835 will pattern better and better built, than the Nova. My wife has a Super Nova 12g and they remind me of a plastic toy, she likes it though. I Shoot Brownings, and 9 times out of 10 ill have my BPS wtrfowl 3 1/2 with me at all times. IMPO the BPS is the most solid pump ever built. I expect to get some feedback off of this.

I agree, can't beat an 835 for the price. I would pretty much agree that the three best pump guns for waterfowl are the 835, bps, and 870. A benelli nova is one of the worst, only second to the stoeger p350. My recommendation, you can't beat an 870 or 835 for the price.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby LouisianaFowler » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:06 pm

Where I live, and I think most will agree, the # of decoys changes throughout the season. Here, Ill put out 4 or 5 dozen (or more) in the eairly part of the season (unless your in small water, obviously). And as the season goes on I throttle back a little on the #s. By the end I may have 6 out there. Ducks tend to get tired of being shot at, so if its not flying beside them, they more than likely wont land with it, unless its a wide lip, their stupid, and not worth the calories I burn picking my gun up.
I like duck hunting...
LouisianaFowler
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:19 pm

i use about a dozen and avery make great decoys
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby aboz » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:29 pm

Scout out your spots before hunting and get a good idea of how big the flocks you see are. It will change throughout the season so your spread size will also change. :thumbsup:
take em
aboz
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting