Tuscaloosa bound

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Tuscaloosa bound

Postby DawgsFan334 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:43 am

Hello, my name is Casey, I'm 28 years old and moving to Tuscaloosa from Georgia to attend Alabama for my Master's degree in May. Just wanted to reach out on here and see if there are any decent duck hunting areas around Tuscaloosa, and if there is a Ducks Unlimited and Delta Waterfowl Chapter or anything as well? Been hunting ducks for about 5 years now, and everything is finally starting to slow down for me and my ability to bring ducks down has increased drastically. Always hard learning on Wood Ducks and Blue Winged Teal, cause those suckers are fast. But I'm real excited about the move with my wife and baby girl, and look forward to getting to know some of y'all. Please let me know of some areas available to hunt, because I have zero knowledge about the area and no experience ever hunting in Alabama. Look forward to hearing from y'all. Thanks
DawgsFan334
hunter

Re: Tuscaloosa bound

Postby RollTide14 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:24 pm

A lot of people will claim that they have Honey Holes real close to campus, but in my 4 years here, I've never been able to find them. You're definitely going to need a boat or make friends with someone who has one to get anywhere worth your while. Try looking at Akron, AL. I hunted there about 20 mornings this year and we did alright. Had a few mornings where we killed 20+ but other days where we killed 1 or two. But you're gonna be hunting about 90% wood ducks and 10% teal. If you got a boat, check out the Lock 8 Boat Ramp in Akron on GoogleEarth and just follow the river and see what you can find. I've hunted the Sipsey River a few times but never more than 5 ducks per mooring and I don't know where to go really, just went with some buddies. Don't waste your time on the Cahaba River, not worth it. Also look into Eutaw and Demopolis, AL. There are several WMA's down there that I've hunted and some good places on the Black Warrior River down there too. You're gonna be driving about 45 mins to anywhere worth a damn and have a little spot competition here and there, but its worth going for sure.
RollTide14
hunter

Postby DawgsFan334 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:12 pm

Thanks so much man. I guess a lot of folks think I'm looking for a handout, but I literally have only been to Tuscaloosa twice, and that was to see houses and buy one before school starts up this Summer. I'm looking forward to any Ducks Unlimited banquets or any other ways I can meet some folks with the passion we have for hunting ducks. Thanks again for the information, I really appreciate it.
DawgsFan334
hunter

Postby shooter75 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:51 pm

My name is Jay and Im 27. I live in brookwood which is about 20 mins from campus. I moved to Alabama last year from Mississippi. That's normally where i do my hunting. I have been trying to find places here to hunt but i have not been able to yet. I have a boat and about everything you could need to hunt. Im looking for a hunting partner that is willing to put as much effort as i am into finding places. if anyone is interested let me know. Thanks.
Give me freedom or give me death!!!!
shooter75
hunter

Postby DawgsFan334 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:30 pm

It's great to hear from you Jay. I am obviously new to the area as well, and I live like 2 miles from the football stadium. I am more than willing to tag along and help scout and find us some holes somewhere. I am also willing to travel wherever. Let me know what you think and we can get together as soon as you want and get something together. PM me your phone number and I can give you a buzz.

Thanks,

Casey
DawgsFan334
hunter

Postby quacksmacker69153 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:25 pm

have you guys herd of any outfitters down there. headed down for the iron bowl with some buddies but want to come down a couple days early and hunt ducks as i am the only hunter in the bunch
quacksmacker69153
hunter

Postby DawgsFan334 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:46 pm

Sorry it took so long to respond, but I sure haven't. I'm still getting used to the area and seem to only find deer hunters. I will be glad to let you tag along with me if I get any good spots during my scouting before the season. I will gladly keep in touch.
DawgsFan334
hunter

Postby BamaDuck07 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:36 am

Casey and Jay, My name is Brandon and I'm 26. I live in Birmingham, but my girlfriend lives in Tuscaloosa so I spend a lot of time there. I'm new to duck hunting, but got addicted last season. I have recently finished school and a lot of time has been freed up. I would like to get to know you guys and help with scouting, learn from more experienced hunters, and gain some hunting partners. I am more than willing to put the time and energy in to ensure successful hunts. PM me if either of you are interested in meeting and discussing further.
BamaDuck07
hunter

Postby jaker » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:58 pm

The best thing about tuscaloosa as far as duck hunting goes, is that your only 2.5hrs from some pretty decent hunting in ms.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby LaRocque » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Hey fellas, I'm Cody and I go to school down here in Ttown. I'm originally from SC and got started into duck hunting after deer and dove hunting all my life. I'm also trying to find some places to get into and I'm working up money to get some new decoys so I can leave my old ones at home and save them from the destruction of travel. All of the friends I've made here are either from Huntsville or Mobile and have found land there to hunt but I'm trying to find something a little closer if at all possible.
I've got a good gun, a bad shot, a dumb dog and a pretty truck.

President of the University of Alabama Skeet and Trap Shooting Team
LaRocque
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:53 pm

idk if this is true or not down in t town but up here in north al me an my buddies (wer still in high school) hunt farm ponds alot an we had a good season so id say if u can find 5 or 6 nice lil ponds just rotate between the ones you hunt on the weekends and stuff and you should do purty good an the major diffrence iv found huntin ponds versous wma or lakes or rivers is that its a whole heck of a lot easyier to decoy birds right in your face an most of tha time you wont need boat on a pond or even a blind we just hunker down round bushs an trees an stuff like that idk if this helped yal any or not but thats what i would do
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting