Job opportunity in Dothan

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Job opportunity in Dothan

Postby don novicki » Wed May 16, 2012 10:02 am

My kid has an opportunity to work at a hospital in Dothan as a Physician Assistant. Being that we/he is from Pennsylvania just wondering what the duck hunting opportunities are like in your neck of the woods and is there any duck hunting around the Dotahn area? Not looking for spots specifically just general advice and overall how is the hunting in your state. Gotta be better than here in the NW corner of Pennsylvania..............Oh yea do you guys hunt Quail down there at all too? Thanks for the info.
don novicki
hunter

Re: Job opportunity in Dothan

Postby don novicki » Thu May 24, 2012 4:39 pm

Wow almost 700 views and nothing? I'm not looking to take anyones spot just looking for general information..........
don novicki
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sun May 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Just wanted to say thanks to the guys that pm'd me I appreciate the help. Unfortunately it sounds like there isn't a lot in the general area but thats life. Again I appreciate it.......
don novicki
hunter

Postby David » Tue May 29, 2012 6:57 am

Sorry, I would have answered, but I'm on the other side of the state and don't know much about that area. Although I can say that most of the state you really have to hunt to find ducks other than wood ducks. However if your happy with just getting a limit of woodies and you own a boat, you should be pretty happy here.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby don novicki » Thu May 31, 2012 5:58 pm

I told him that I would bring the layout rig down and we would try Mobile Bay this season. I looked at a navigation map and was surprised to see how shallow it is for the most part. Can anyone tell me about boat ramps and if you are allowed to layout hunt down there? By layout I mean open water rig not a marsh boat or anything like that. I bet you get some nice fully plumed divers down there later in the season. I also like the fact that at age 65 you no longer need a license if I read correctly, heck maybe I'll move down there myself......thanks again
don novicki
hunter

Postby David » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:50 am

Yes layouts are allowed, but be careful. Have a brightly colored flag and a Qbeam handy for those knuckleheads that think scouting means running threw flocks at full throttle. After opening weekend we will get decent sized rafts set up in the center of the larger bodies of water that a layout could work well on.

In the winter, you have to be careful not to get caught by an outgoing tide in the Delta and end up on "dry" land. By "dry" I mean 4' deep mud that a boat has no problem sitting high on but you sink.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting