Decoy paint

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Decoy paint

Postby shooter75 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Im going to try and repaint some old decoys. Any advice as to the best paint to use?
Give me freedom or give me death!!!!
shooter75
hunter

Re: Decoy paint

Postby David » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:15 am

What I've done in the past if they were just plastic decoys and not much life left in them is paint them flat black. Don't worry about adding any other colors, eyes or anything else. They will work like a champ. :thumbsup:
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Bamaducks256 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:49 pm

David wrote:What I've done in the past if they were just plastic decoys and not much life left in them is paint them flat black. Don't worry about adding any other colors, eyes or anything else. They will work like a champ. :thumbsup:

i agree with david. if plastic paint them flat black because the ducks just like them. if foam like a herters decoy order you some decoy paint from cabelas and paint them to look like whatever duck you want.
Bamaducks256
hunter

Postby robert331 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:32 pm

If you are repainting plastic stick them in the oven on 200 degrees for a few mins and warm them up before you spray them and it will help them hold the paint better
robert331
hunter

Postby jaker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:25 pm

easy enough to paint up some bluebills or cans from old mallards, you can also turn them into coots real easy. Make sure you use flat spray paint, and make sure to clean the surface thouroughly with a wire brush and some alchahol. Also roberts idea about heating them sounds like a winner, never thought about it, but gonna have to give it a shot. Some clear coat after the paint also helps.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby shooter75 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:07 pm

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if the clear coat would flare the birds or not.
Give me freedom or give me death!!!!
shooter75
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:57 am

Wow.... all flat black?? I wonder why they wouldn't just make them that way if they worked that well? :fingerhead:

For plastic:
I recently made a bunch of goose floaters into brant to bulk up a friend's rig who only has a dozen. I wire brushed them, sprayed them with clear PLASTIC primer, one good coat of High Temp (ultra flat stove paint), then some touch ups in thin spots, then white tail and cheeks, then a coat of dull, clear coat spray.. They look fantastic.

Foam:
You can fill in any chunks of missing foam with a variety of fill materials. I then add some PL or 500 to be sure the head is solid to the body (sometimes with extended use they get flimsy, like herters with the Eye Bolt)
In the case of black ducks, I'll paint them with rustoleum flat black and sawdust them wet. When they dry, another coat of High Temp, then the clear dull spray.

Keels:
If you have any herters that have the steel exposed keel that rusts and flakes. I take a wire brush to that, get it clean, then smear silicone on it liberally to seal it and stop the rust.

Many steps, but if you do it, you will restore your decoys with a little work and a few cans of paint for many more years.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby jaker » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Wow.... all flat black?? I wonder why they wouldn't just make them that way if they worked that well? :fingerhead:

For plastic:
I recently made a bunch of goose floaters into brant to bulk up a friend's rig who only has a dozen. I wire brushed them, sprayed them with clear PLASTIC primer, one good coat of High Temp (ultra flat stove paint), then some touch ups in thin spots, then white tail and cheeks, then a coat of dull, clear coat spray.. They look fantastic.

Foam:
You can fill in any chunks of missing foam with a variety of fill materials. I then add some PL or 500 to be sure the head is solid to the body (sometimes with extended use they get flimsy, like herters with the Eye Bolt)
In the case of black ducks, I'll paint them with rustoleum flat black and sawdust them wet. When they dry, another coat of High Temp, then the clear dull spray.

Keels:
If you have any herters that have the steel exposed keel that rusts and flakes. I take a wire brush to that, get it clean, then smear silicone on it liberally to seal it and stop the rust.

Many steps, but if you do it, you will restore your decoys with a little work and a few cans of paint for many more years.....

here in alabama, the coots far outnumber the actual ducks.........thats why. Also, theres been a ton of birds killed over the most jery rigged decoy spreads you can imagine. I think the human eye is why decoy companies put so much detail into their product. Most of the time its not neccessary, but most of us feel a lot better with some really good looking decoys, I've never seen a bird dive bomb a spread of really expensive decoys over cheap bad looking ones. But it sure feels like they are goin to if you've got a spread of dakotas out.....
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Absolutely true TO A POINT.
I think it's silly the way that the new decoys have little touches on their eyelids or a the little teeth edges on the bill.... I guess when you are dealing with molded plastic they can just add it anyway they want. I'd love to see one of those "how it's made" shows on decoys....

Also true that I carve my own and paint them to please me as much as the birds.
I think a little pride in your rig is a good thing.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting