South Al Wood Ducks

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

South Al Wood Ducks

Postby auburn_1984 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Hi, I am currently stationed overseas and suppose to be coming back to the states in the beginning of 2013. As of right now I am getting orders to Eglin AFB. I am originally from North Mobile AL. I am trying to get into duck hunting and thought it would suite me best to try wood duck hunting since every where i read it says that wood ducks are far more plentiful than any other duck hunting in the area. I have grown up deer and small game hunting and now want to give duck hunting a try.

I am mainly looking for information on how to get started and what to look for as far as scouting and what areas hold the most wood duck populations. When scouting for whitetails I use topo maps and google earth to try and find travel corridoirs then go look at the areas. I am trying to do the same thing for duck hunting and wanted some information about what to look for.
auburn_1984
hunter

Re: South Al Wood Ducks

Postby BonifayFLAboy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:45 pm

First off, thanks for your service to our great country. Secondly there are alot of places to hunt ducks near Eglin. Look at the Choctahatchee bay and all the tributaries that feed it. Diver duck hunting is big in that area. Also on Eglinthere are a few ponds that you can look at that will hold ducks from time to time. When you get state side hit me up and I'll help u anyway I can.
God, Family, Hunting. Let us keep our priorities in line!
BonifayFLAboy
hunter

Postby auburn_1984 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:50 am

I will keep that in mind. I only got a few more months overseas then back where i belong for awhile I hope in the South. I will check those places out when i get back and get settled in with my family.
auburn_1984
hunter

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:43 am

Hit me up this season I hunt the eastern part of the Choctawhatchee bay around Freeport then I hunt ducks from the mouth of the river and Black Creek all the way up to the Pea River In AL, I live in Ponce de Leon on the Walton County line and also have several Lease ponds we shoot alot of Ringnecks and Teal in always looking for people to go with.
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:45 am

Had a really good season 2012-2013 put 119 ducks in the freezer.
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting