New to montgomery area

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

New to montgomery area

Postby DBO » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:03 pm

Hey I just moved to montgomery area... Just wanting to know if there is any good hunting on the the Alabama river in my area? ...if so what are some good boat landings to put in at?...thanks !
DBO
Newb

Re: New to montgomery area

Postby macdaddykeefer » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:02 pm

Cyber scouter! Lol
John 3:16

Never let work get in the way of a possible duck whackin'
macdaddykeefer
hunter

Postby DBO » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:16 pm

Lol Keefer
DBO
Newb

Postby RollTide14 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Used Cooter's Pond Ramp for river access but there isn't anywhere worth a damn to hunt around it (20-30 minute boat ride at full throttle). Hunted all along the Alabama and the only possibly way to have real success is wait for the river to flood so that you can drive your boat onto someones field that floods or look for the golden nuggets that those duck dynasty wannabes throw out all over the place and press your luck hunting over that. But in reality, you may limit on woodies (not a great feat) but you likely not come close to a limit on anything else. My opinion, go west, at least 2-3 hours (better if you just cross the MS or even LA line) and get closer to the flyway and get out of this hell of east Alabama hunting.
RollTide14
Newb

Postby DBO » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Ten 4 ... How bout swift creek? I been out doin a lil riding checking out the area ... How bout any of the lakes around ? .... I know what u mean bout hell of east alabama hunting ..came from sc ...hunting bout the same down there ... Thanks
DBO
Newb

Postby macdaddykeefer » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:02 pm

We got plenty of birds! Bluejays, cardinals, mocking birds, crows, and the favorite of all yuppies comerants!
John 3:16

Never let work get in the way of a possible duck whackin'
macdaddykeefer
hunter

Postby DBO » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:24 pm

U rite bout that ..we sure did have plenty back in sc ..plenty of coots.. lol
DBO
Newb

Postby rainingmallards » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:50 am

unless you get a huge cold front and massive snow you won't see many big ducks

I have hunted all around that area and it is very hit and miss
don't miss the woodies or you will looking at the empty sky quite a bit
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby CecilWoodie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:34 pm

DBO wrote:Hey I just moved to montgomery area... Just wanting to know if there is any good hunting on the the Alabama river in my area? ...if so what are some good boat landings to put in at?...thanks !

DBO I suggest you get more off the beaten path if you're planning on hunting the AL river. If you're going to kill ducks, you need to find the shallow, secluded sloughs that tend to be well off the main river channel. I can't give up the goods but there are several good-great sloughs off the AL river. Some are near the upper section where the confluence of the Tallapoosa and Coosa rivers form the AL river. There are several sloughs west of town, towards whitehall/selma that see a lot more pressure but tend to hold more ducks. Get out and scout! Don't listen to these guys on this board that say you can't/won't kill big ducks around here. They don't know because they don't take the time to scout. We shot roughly 50 mallards/20 BWT/ countless woodies/ and even 4 redheads off the AL last season. Hell I shot Mallards, woodies and BWT's on my farm pond in Cecil last yr.
scout, scout, scout.... fail.....scout some more
CecilWoodie
hunter

Postby Stokojohn » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:49 pm

DBO, If you want to know about good duck hunting near Montgomery, respond to my post. Its that time now. John.
Stokojohn
Newb

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting