Need some Advice on GEESE

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Need some Advice on GEESE

Postby jmchapman3 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Alright so me and a buddy of mine have been scouting this flooded pasture the last few weeks, been holding anywhere from 75-100 geese daily. The only problem is the geese are using it as a roost pond as well as feeding. THEY NEVER LEAVE. We only have permission to hunt it in the mornings. What should we do, get there way before day and try to bump them off hoping they come back??? Or go in and try to jump shoot as many as possible?? My main question is, since they are stuck there and obviously like it, will they come back if we just casually bump them off or just need to take what we can get when we can get it.

Any advise would be great, hunting it Saturday morning so the sooner the better
Thanks
jmchapman3
hunter

Re: Need some Advice on GEESE

Postby robert331 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:29 pm

I have had a lot of luck bumping geese off and them coming back. We bump alot of them off when we are shooting ducks. The only thing is I have found is not all of them come back usually about half. But when they come back they tend to do it in smaller groups and are more spread out. If it was me I would bump them off about 15 -20 mins before shooting light and throw out about a dozen floaters and sit back and get comfortable. I think you will have a lot better chance at that then trying to jump shoot them. Only thing is be patient like i said they will trickle back in for at least a couple of hours. Good luck :thumbsup:
robert331
hunter

Re: Need some Advice on GEESE

Postby kcwellington » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:15 am

robert331 wrote:I have had a lot of luck bumping geese off and them coming back. We bump alot of them off when we are shooting ducks. The only thing is I have found is not all of them come back usually about half. But when they come back they tend to do it in smaller groups and are more spread out. If it was me I would bump them off about 15 -20 mins before shooting light and throw out about a dozen floaters and sit back and get comfortable. I think you will have a lot better chance at that then trying to jump shoot them. Only thing is be patient like i said they will trickle back in for at least a couple of hours. Good luck :thumbsup:

X2!! Like he said, when they do come back, they are in smaller groups so you are going to have more chances at shooting than you would if they all came back together because if run them off twice they probably wont come back till tomorrow. jmo!
kcwellington
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting