Small River and Creek Hunting

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Small River and Creek Hunting

Postby Xtra_Grey » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:45 pm

I haven't hunted many big lakes or rivers, but i have hunted a lot of small rivers and creeks that run through Huntsville and Northern Alabama, the Flint River mainly...u wouldnt think to see a whole lot of ducks on a small river like that but there are so many wood ducks on the flint that it's unbeleivable..i hunted for an hour and a half and had two woodies today, i left and got home b4 dark, that's wat im talkin about....wat's everyone elses luck on rivers and creeks?
Xtra_Grey
hunter

Postby RHF » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:28 pm

In three years of hunting small rivers and creeks in AL, I have found that a good day is a 2 Drake Woodduck limit. A bad day is the woodies not willing to work in. I think in three seasons the only other ducks I took were mistake Hooded Mergansers and a pair of Gadwall. I've moved over to large lakes formed from high-lift locks and/or hydropower dams. This is my first year of this strategy and I'm still learning- there are defiantly more ducks but also more duck hunters. I don't know if I will do any better or worse – I'll let you know near the end of the season if my success ratio has improved. Since I find the most enjoyable aspect of duck hunting is having ducks come into the decoys, this season has been more fun. I also enjoy having a crack at Geese, which you don't get in this small rivers and streams. I can tell you this, last season I had a very slow start, and I am definitely ahead of the pace for last year (0/3 vs. 3/3).
Sometime duck hunter
RHF
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting