Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

where to go in alabama

Postby cootman » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:33 pm

looking for a good season ender in alabama paid hunt or not
cootman
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:42 pm

It has been a few years since I've been there, but the area around Stephenson used to be good (on or adjacent to the river)...just an idea
apexhunter
hunter

lookin for help

Postby cootman » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:57 pm

hey buddy thanks for the help. is that wma land through there
cootman
hunter

Postby shane » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:48 pm

I haven't had much luck in bama this year. So, not much to offer up. I'll let you know if I have any luck in north AL next weekend.
shane
Newb

Postby David » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:25 am

There hasn't been any ducks to speak of in South Alabama. We had a lousy opener and it hasn't gotten any better. :thumbsdown: I'm hoping we at least start getting some divers soon. At least then we might have something to shoot at.
David
Lefty

thanks

Postby cootman » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:07 pm

thanks for the info. if any good news comes up please let me know. God bless
cootman
hunter

Postby RHF » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:29 am

Middle of the state hasn't been much better - trips range from no shots to two ducks harvested with the majority being either 0's or 1's.
Sometime duck hunter
RHF
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:36 pm

Well, it's kinda like this forum right now....nothing flying. The increasing numbers of OOS hunters every year gets unnerving to those of us in North Alabama. I for one don't mind folks from other areas coming in and using public water. I do mind that some seem to have an uncaring attitude about hunting around the area. They don't live here, so as long as they can come hunt, they don't have to care, I guess. Their numbers and any few of the OOS hunters that are unethical effect everyone...so that's why I think they should care. I welcome those with an attitude that is ethical and promotes the conservation side of the resource they're traveling to use every year. I don't welcome those who shoot up boat houses, tear down blinds/build new blinds/fight over blinds, trash the ramps and islands, shoot over the limit, rally birds, etc. Invest some time scouting, hunting, and talking to folks in the area, and you'll be much better off. There is not a guide service that I know of that posesses any CG Certifications for taking people out on the TN river to hunt, so I can't recommend any....though I know some guide outfits. Come visit and learn the area. Invest some time and effort into it. Meet some folks that actually hunt the ares you are interested in and DON'T ask them where they hunt. You can ask them for some help and 99% will gladly try. It will pay off for you in the long run, much more than fishing on the forums. Just my opinion, but I just do not think it polite to discuss public hunting areas on the internet. I know they are public, but too many pople have taken the time, made the effort, bought the gas, etc. to find and pattern any birds that happen to be there for someone else to make their efforts to do it right meaningless with a few keystrokes. :mrgreen:
ALMODUX
hunter

Postby ncflyfisherman » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:29 am

There are some ducks here. It is just hard hunting. If you get one or two ducks it is a good day. We have been out every weekend of the season. We have had some good weekend and some bad ones.

The biggest thing with hunting AL is knowing where the ducks want to be. That changes eveyday. An Example is last weekend. We hunted one spot on Sat. We had ducks decoying. We got 2 can's and a gadwall. We had a bunch of other opportunties but you know how that goes. You have to pee, are looking a different way or are picking up decoys and they come in. We have decided the pee call is one of the most effective duck calls. Once you get it out of you waders the ducks come in. We hunted the next day the same spot and only had 2 fly bys. We went to check out another spot we hunt on the way out and we kicked out over 200 ducks in the spot. It just shows you need to learn the river and know what the ducks do on different days.

When we got there Sunday the water was like glass. By 10 AM there was 2 ft white caps. The ducks wanted to be back in the bays where they had cover. We didn't know the wind was going to be so bad or we would have been in the spot where we had seen the 200 ducks. It is all knowing where the ducks want to be. We had over 100 decoys out so moving was not a option.

We hunt Guntersville and the hard thing there is all the coots rafted up in the middle and the ducks go right to them. When the decoy the land short. 150 yrds away. The key here is let them swim in. When the coots come in don't shoot them the ducks will follow.

I have hunted a lot of different states. What I have found is most other states it is ducks shooting. In AL it is true duck hunting. If you are not on your game you will go home empty handed. You have to work harder to get ducks in AL than any other state.
Those who say you can't buy happiness have never owned a Lab
ncflyfisherman
hunter

Postby RHF » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:49 am

I'll second that about the difficulty of duck huning in AL
Sometime duck hunter
RHF
hunter

huntin ethics

Postby cootman » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:07 pm

sorry some ga redneck gave u a bad outlook on us, but most of us r good to go. i understand about the scouting. just trying to cut some of the unnescerrary scouting out of the way.i respect duck hunting and other duck hunters. i wound not call asking advice of where to try, fishing for hints. that was this forum is for. not trying to sound rude. everyone is my friend
cootman
hunter

Postby ALMODUX » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:18 pm

:mrgreen: I have no idea 9when I read some posts) what the actual 'intent' is, so I wasn't trying to be harsh....just trying to explain what you are likely to see and why. Come on over when you have time to scout, and I'll be glad to help with the 'sections' of the area and how you can break them down for scouting them. You really aren't likely to see anything impressive, though. :mrgreen:
Here's a thought: Let the ducks work and decoy.
ALMODUX
hunter

stephenson

Postby Fackler Flash » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:49 pm

It's Stevenson.

There is a lot of public land you can hunt in Jackson County, but there is also a pretty good bit of refuge land, so be careful. And don't expect the season to end with a bang while you're there, because very few seem to be having much luck right now.
Fackler Flash
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting